Fan made projects related to MLP

Search /collab/ threads

Name  
Email  
Subject  
Message  
File     
Embed    
Password  (for post and file deletion)

File 135495237263.png - (25.81KB , 373x254 , previewPic.png )
43054 No. 43054
Hi /collab/, it's been quite a while since my last visit.

It seems like my old thread lost its picture and kind of died out. Hope it's okay to make a fresh one.

Anyways, I'm reintroducing the Rainbow Dash Shooter Project. This solo project has been my biggest experiment/learning experience with Flash Actionscript, and it's getting better and better as time goes by.

This game lets you play as Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Derpy Hooves, and even your own custom made pony to fly through the skies with Spike to fend off the constant waves of Parasprites, and different bosses that are encountered.

Link to the game: http://fav.me/d4tjb2w

Those that have been following my old thread can definitely see how this game has evolved. Every menu has been trashed and rebuilt, performance optimizations are made, and the OC pony has been growing with variety.

The main thing I'm asking for in this thread is feedback and suggestions to add. I also take requests on what to make available in the OC creator too.

Thanks in advance!
Unspoiler all text  • Expand all images  • Reveal spoilers
>> No. 43060
This game seems to be a good framework, but it's naturally not perfect. I'm making a list of problems and suggestions here:

During the OC tutorial, I had troubles getting it to continue on to the next topic, and had to wait several minutes before it would let me continue on. That, and the tutorial was a little fuzzy when it came to coloring things, and it took me half an hour to change my OC's coat and get the trail figured out. I'd not only make it more in-depth, I'd make it skippable (for those that have played it before on a different computer).

The game play was very difficult at first, as I could not figure out the key commands, and there were no instructions I found for that. Knowing how to play is important, you know?

Finally, I had some troubles beating Trixie, as it started lagging like heck when she came on-screen. It was pretty much unplayable, even on low quality. There may be a problem with her.

Overall, it's not bad. The graphics could always be improved (of course, that might reduce speed, which may be even worse of a tradeoff for some computers)

If there would be anything else to add, it would be an editor for Spike, so you can have your own custom baby dragon on your back. Just maybe.

Edit: Just found out how to set the controls. I'm just that Derpy.
>> No. 43062
Okay, I unlocked Derpy, beat Trixie, and went on after that, just to get hit by a parasprite and get stuck. I couldn't move, I couldn't shoot, and I was unharmable. Any idea what that was about?
>> No. 43063
>>43062
GOD DANG DERPY! I thought I killed all her lockup bugs! Well don't worry, I'm getting the game through a lot of new changes including a more organized player code to reduce conflicts like this.

This OC menu is the newest addition to this version of the game. I was expecting some kind of problems to emerge. As for the tutorial, some parts require you to open a menu before moving on, that was probably where you got stuck.

Yeah, instructions are a must. When you first start the game, the About tab flashes in hopes of going in there. I should probably make a tutorial like the OC tutorial that explains what to do first before playing.

Customizable dragon. Good idea, but it'll be hell for the dialogue. Then again, I am rewritting the dialogue system to be more convenient, so this is a great possibility. I once got a request to add Barbara as the shooter.

I could understand Trixie lagging because of the laser line attack, but I don't how she lags things up by going onscreen.

As for graphics, they pretty much reflect my drawing and animation skill. They'll grow as I grow, so there's probably gonna be some improvement down the line.

Glad to hear your input man, I hope it's still fun despite the flaws. If you play far enough, could I get some suggestions on the Hoops race after beating Trixie?
>> No. 43064
>>43063
Hoops? Why not? I've gotten to somewhere around level 23 (not easy), and yet kept expecting to meet Gilda somewhere around 15 or 20 (because, you know, every 5th level seems to be a boss). Trust me, it starts to get ridiculously hard around level 20, as there are far too many pegasi in the air to effectively dodge. Tone them down a bit, please?

I found that the race was altogether too random, as whatever randomly places the rings and the clouds had tendencies to make either strings of rings almost entirely in a row (allowing me to beat him before he made it halfway once), and there were some times I just couldn't beat him for the life of me (as it would hide the rings directly in front of or behind clouds, which would immediately nullify them). If there would be a way to make it more even in difficulty, it would help.

One thing I noticed when I started failing around level 17 or so is whenever I retried, it would take me back to level 5 (because that is the original point I started from). It'd be a bit better to make the in-game resuming start at the last checkpoint instead of the last selected one on the menu. Or better yet, make it an option.

As to the Trixie lag, it turns out that was my browser going crazy. I restarted my browser, and it went flying even faster than it was before on maximum quality. Don't worry about her. Also found the half damage thing you put in for the OCs during the pre-fight scene. Still almost failed that time due to sheer clumsiness.

One idea for the game would be a means to recover health, as I often find my health depleting before I know it in the later levels, and no Fluttershy hanging around to recover me. It's times like those I start to get nervous on how much longer I can last and start to play crazy defensively.

If there's one trick that keeps getting me though, it's that the parasprites can go lower on the screen than Spike can shoot, making them impossible to defeat while allowing them to still wound me. It might be a good idea to keep the parasprites in the bounds they can be defeated in.

I still enjoyed the game a ton (you know it's true when you play a single game for 3 straight hours, plus some), and can only hope you continue to add to it. More manes, more accesories, and possibly more bosses. Don't try to do it too fast thoug. I've seen entire games do down the tubes because of rushing. All I can hope is that this one continues to entertain.
>> No. 43067
>>43064

Hahahaha! It's funny that you mention Gilda. That's the boss I'm developing currently!

Ok, so the racing obstacles need to be more in sync instead of using random variables. Good, I'm glad to finally get some feedback for the racing element. Thanks.

Oh right, that whole checkpoint thing. That's a bug, it's supposed to start you from the last checkpoint.

Studying for College finals have stopped development for now. After this, I'll continue with more power from this new computer I'm getting. I'll be updating here and on my dA, so keep watching for anything new coming in.
>> No. 43071
>>43067
College finals you say? I feel the same way with my life, as they start tomorrow for me. At least I don't have to do a final exam for every class, or I'd probably crack under the pressure like Twilight in Lesson Zero. That wouldn't end well.
>> No. 43080
>>43071

Heh, finals start for me tomorrow too. The pressure is keeping me from sleeping sometimes. Isn't it weird how getting nervous makes you mess things up only because you're afraid of messing things up?
>> No. 43091
>>43080
'Tis a little odd, but I'll be fine. Most of my exams could be passed reasonably easily with nothing more than logic. I'm concerned about my sleep though, as I'm starting to get some pretty noticeable bags under my eyes, and don't feel like doing anything more than napping all day.
>> No. 43430
Hey guys

I've got back on development and put up version 2.8 of the game. You can always find the latest version on my dA.

This update is a lot about re-writting the player and dialogue codes to make things easier on my end, but there are some new additions.

New manes for OC: Pinkie Pie and Applejack styles are in.

Secondary colors can now be customized.

All new color picker to give more variety.

Quite a few bug fixes involving the new codes and the gameplay system.

So go ahead and try the game nowadays. Gilda will be coming next as a new boss. If anyone encounters bugs or wants to make a suggestion, go ahead and post here or comment on my dA.

See you guys in the next update!
>> No. 43431
Whoops. I missed a couple things...

Marioland, I took your advice and gave the OC Menu Tutorial a little more depth when it comes to the color picker. That, and I also added an anti-guessing system in-game. If you guess around the keyboard to find the controls, the game will pause and show a quick reference to the control scheme.

I'm considering making OC dragons, it may be tricky with the dialogue and such, but I think it can be done.

By the way, Happy New Year everypony! /)
>> No. 43442
It's a pretty fun game so far; I'm looking forward to what else is in store. Some things I noticed as I played:

The textbox in the middle of the loading screen is scrollable for some reason.

During the Trixie boss battle, if you go too far to the right, you get knocked back to the left. However, this also makes you invincible for a couple of seconds (as if you got hit, but you don't lose any health). This can be exploited to make yourself invincible for much of the fight. It's not a foolproof strategy; you can't make yourself invincible 100% of the time, but it still makes it noticeably easier to avoid all the crazy lasers everywhere in the second half of the fight. I'm thinking either make the knockback cause no invincibility, or make the invisible wall cause no knockback.

If you pause the game immediately after defeating Trixie (before Fluttershy speaks), it's possible to quit to the main menu during the dialogue with Fluttershy. The dialogue remains on the screen and can be advanced with the Spacebar.

One time, I shot a parasprite at the very top of the screen, which dropped some rainbow juice (I think that's what it's called?), but I couldn't pick it up because it was too high up.

I also noticed the inability to shoot enemies at the bottom of the screen. May I suggest an option (perhaps a toggle that can be switched during gameplay) that will allow the player to shoot diagonally if holding the up or down arrow keys. So when holding up, you shoot upward at an angle, and holding down will shoot at a downward angle. This could also lead to different enemy patterns (e.g. enemies that try to hide partly offscreen).

I think the ponies are too similar to each other. The different special moves are good, but how about different rapid fire mechanics for Fluttershy and Derpy (maybe call it alternate fire or special fire)? Rainbow Dash can stay with rapid fire as it fits her, and the other two can get different ones, maybe a spread shot or something else. I imagine that OCs should be able to choose which one they want, just like with special moves.

Is it possible to have songs loop after they're done?

I honestly don't see a point to Overdose. Rainbow juice seems much better used for rapid fire and special moves.
>> No. 43449
That's quite a bit there, although I know I've seen much of it before. the textbox thing is new though. I'll have to check it out.

Trixie herself should stop you from getting too far to the right, as she should follow your vertical position if you get too close (and therefore, you run into her and she stops you from proceeding on). It's odd that you can do that without damage.

Dialogue box fail? Sounds like the main menu wasn't disabled early enough.

Juice too high? Been there, done that. Your fireballs simply go higher vertically than your character can collect, so at the top, you destroy the parasprite when it's outside of your grab range. I don't think that'll take too much to fix.

"I also noticed the inability to shoot enemies at the bottom of the screen." I noticed that a long time ago and posted that here. I kind of suggested a barrier to prevent parasprites from going that low, mostly because I hate trying to fire diagonally, and absolutely stink at it.

Different Special moves? Awesome idea.

"Is it possible to have songs loop after they're done?"

"I honestly don't see a point to Overdose. Rainbow juice seems much better used for rapid fire and special moves"
Maybe. That, and the fact that you can't stop the overdose (and therefore if you enter a boss fight with it going, it continues through the dialog and ends before the battle starts), it is a bit ridiculous. That, and the eye is creepy. *shudders*
>> No. 43451
>>43449

>I noticed that a long time ago and posted that here. I kind of suggested a barrier to prevent parasprites from going that low, mostly because I hate trying to fire diagonally, and absolutely stink at it.

In retrospect, I think you're right. There is no need to introduce diagonal shooting; it would needlessly add complexity to the game without giving much in return.

Your idea is pretty good, actually. I'd suggest also preventing the parasprites from going to the top. This would maintain consistency in parasprite behavior (it'd look strange if they avoid the bottom but not the top), and it may also solve the problem of powerups being too high to pick up.

An alternate possibility may be to allow the player character to move slightly off the bottom of the screen. This would allow the player to cover the bottom more easily.
>> No. 43456
Thanks for you inputs guys. I really appreciate it.

I really do need to do something about that music looping shouldn't I?

Boundaries do need some tweaking. I'll probably expand it a bit for the player.

Different firing modes sound awesome. I like the spread shot idea!

As for the overdose move. Maybe I should remove it as a move. Perhaps I could make a Super Sugary Energy Cupcake that enemies drop that triggers the overdose. That sounds a lot better, as it isn't given for strategy, but for luck.

I have once thought about giving different firing directions, but the one thing that's been stopping me is the control. However, the mouse may come in handy. Perhaps I could make certain areas where the mouse is used to fire and you shoot in all directions. Reminds me of "All Range Mode".

Thanks again for the feedback guys. As you can see, this stuff really helps!
>> No. 43464
>>43456

>Boundaries do need some tweaking. I'll probably expand it a bit for the player.
Actually, I noticed that the player character doesn't even go all the way to the bottom of the screen. If you just fix that, then there probably won't be a problem.

>Different firing modes sound awesome. I like the spread shot idea!
Hey, what if Fluttershy had an alt. fire that shot a burst of 8-10 butterflies in a forward spread, except that the butterflies are also homing and will fly toward the nearest enemies. Maybe costs 10-12% rainbow juice. Reload time of 2 seconds or so.

>As for the overdose move. Maybe I should remove it as a move. Perhaps I could make a Super Sugary Energy Cupcake that enemies drop that triggers the overdose. That sounds a lot better, as it isn't given for strategy, but for luck.
This is only my opinion, but Overdose as it is now just doesn't fit well. It's not just about how you activate Overdose; it's the Overdose itself. I become invincible and shoot wildly for 20 seconds while draining all my rainbow juice? There just doesn't seem much point to it, and depending on your luck with rainbow juice drops, you can Overdose much of the way to the boss. Changing it to a randomly-dropped item would just make it unreliable.

However, it's much more than that. It just doesn't seem all that great: the flashy disco colors are bothersome, the music for Overdose is rather odd compared to the rest of the music, and the giant freaky eyeball that looks like something out of Breath of Fire II (no offense to BoF fans) partially blocks half the screen. Overdose just feels so totally out-of-place in this game. (If it were Pinkie Pie's special move, then maybe... but even that'd be a stretch.)

>I have once thought about giving different firing directions, but the one thing that's been stopping me is the control. However, the mouse may come in handy. Perhaps I could make certain areas where the mouse is used to fire and you shoot in all directions. Reminds me of "All Range Mode".
At this point, adding mouse controls as a firing option might not be a good idea. You'd be forcing the player to switch between two different control schemes in the middle of gameplay. If you want to shoot in different directions, then instead of coding a different aiming mechanism, I'd say use alternate fire that sends projectiles in multiple directions. Yes, that means it'd cost rainbow juice, but extra rainbow juice usually drops often enough that it's not much problem to refill.

Fluttershy and Derpy can have alternate fire that shoot in more directions than straight ahead. If Rainbow Dash stays with rapid fire, then maybe give her extra movement speed for flying around the screen while rapid firing to make up for the fact that she can only shoot forward (she can easily flood the screen with rapid fire, and anyway her shield protects her while also nuking the screen—a very nice effect by the way, probably one of my favorite things to do).
>> No. 43468
>>43464

That spread shot idea for Fluttershy sounds great, I'll find a way to implement that. Right now, I just put in a couple different firing modes for Fluttershy and Derpy. Fluttershy has a three-way shot and Derpy's fires one straight and a couple in a sine-wave pattern to make a wider hit range. This idea sounds great though, and there's most likely room for it in OC's alt. fire.

The Overdose, I'll be honest, was added mainly because I thought it looked cool. Some like it and some don't, but sometimes I feel that this is the kind of crazyness the game needs at the moment to keep the player moving and not find it too boring. It also speeds the game up so they can get to the bosses quicker, but that's not the intent anymore. Nowadays, it could be just a little bonus for killing one of the bigger enemies. Sure it seems a little silly, but some people like what it delivers.

As for the All Range Mode thing. I'm just thinking there could be a certain place within the game where you have to use the mouse to direct your shots while enemies fly in different places. I feel that gives a slight change of playing the game which would make it more interesting because you're doing something a bit different instead of just moving forward and shooting.

Sorry man, I'll have to disagree on those couple things. You may be right on them, but I feel I should experiment a bit, mainly for the All Range part. The Overdose seems to appeal to a lot of people, and changing the intent of it feels like a step in the right direction,

Sorry again.
>> No. 43474
>>43468
Not a problem. I hope I didn't sound too harsh. I can only offer my two bits, but everybody's gonna have ideas of their own, and not every idea will have 100% consensus, so you should do what you feel is best for your game. Personally, I feel that using Overdose makes the game boring, but that's just me. Obviously, I can just not use it, simple as that, no hard feelings. I like your game, and I'm looking forward to the next update.
>> No. 43481
>>43474

Thanks!
>> No. 44225
Hey everypony. I'm back!

Ok, now down to business:

This game is going through a BIG update. Redesigned Trixie and a Gilda boss, as well as new parasprites and killstreaks to increase interest. One thing it lacks is sound, which is the skill I'm learning, but still lack.

Any sound masters and musicians, I need your help!

I need a short, sad, piano loop, a song for the Cloudsdale area, a congratulatory loop (or jingle) for beating a boss, and sound effects for collisions, background fire, magic for Trixie, and attacks for Gilda. (Probably more, but that's most of it)

Any help in this area will be put on the credits of the game, Thanks!

I would also love to learn from whoever volunteers.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]


Delete post []
Password    
Report post
Reason