Discuss fanfiction, get writing advice, or get your story reviewed

Search /fic/ threads

Name  
Email  
Subject  
Message  
File     
Password  (for post and file deletion)

File 134625871155.png - (21.16KB , 185x185 , 134511839767.png )
117832 No. 117832
#Discussion
Past Sins, Fallout: Equestria and My Little Dashie. Those three are considered the three most popular works of literature in the fandom. All three of them have spawned hundreds of pieces of fanart, fan music and fanfics. But why did they become so popular?

Was it luck, quality of something else that propelled these fics to heights that other fics don't even hope to achieve?
Unspoiler all text  • Expand all images  • Reveal spoilers
>> No. 117835
Past Sins & Fallout: Equestria were both epics that got there quickly. When new people came to the fandom, they were suggested them, and this kept happening to create a ripple like effect that made everyone know their names.

My Little Dashie, however, was executed in a way that made people escape. It was like avatar (the one with navi), twilight, and a few other movies such as the matrix. It gave people a main character who didn't project much of their character, and allowed readers to easily pretend they were them. After the movie Avatar was released, there was actually a substantial increase in nation-wide depression, because people wanted to live in that world. My Little Dashie is good at being an escapist story.

As for quality, the only one that really has quality (arguably) is Fallout: Equestria.
>> No. 117836
>>117835
But really, what made Past Sins and Fallout: Equestria different from any of the other amazing epics that the fandom has produced? I agree with your point about MLD though.
>> No. 117838
>>117836
I already told you. They were there first, and they updated quickly.
>> No. 117840
With any sort of entertainment, be it movies, books, or fanfics, luck is going to play a big role in whether or not something becomes hyper-popular. That's just the nature of the beast. So yes, Past Sins, FoE, and MLD all got really, really lucky. But beyond that, each obviously has some draw: lots of people really do like all three, despite how much /fic/ likes to rage on the latter two. If you're asking my opinion, here are a few specific things that made and make each one so popular:

Past Sins: written by an author who already had a big fanbase / great cover art / came during the summer between S1 and S2, when people were looking for something to fill the pony gap / early chapters have lots of cute SoL stuff

Fallout: Equestria: based on a hugely popular videogame / one of the first grimdark stories that wasn't just torture porn / got started before the fandom fragmented, so EVERY corner of the fandom ended up knowing about it / actually pretty well written

*that last one's debatable of course, but I think most people would agree that it's a much better-written story than Past Sins, which is itself a much better-written story than MLD*

My Little Dashie: based on really popular fanart / delivers lots of high-emotion scenes / easy for lots of bronies to relate to the protagonist / short enough that people who don't want to read a novel can still get into it
>> No. 117846
Those three stories came out when there were a lot fewer fics in existence and like soundslikeponies said, they were first.

Basically, there are far too many stories coming out now for any story to become as popular as those three. Exposure towards a fic is much less and the best you'll probably get is a small surge in popularity if you get featured in the fimfiction box. I guess it depends more on what kind of audience you want to get, but chances are that even if you write a really good story, the time has past for it to become "really popular."

Not that you should write for the sole purpose of doing that. That just leads to a world of disappointment.
>> No. 117848
>>117846
That does kind of suck, but I guess it is inevitable. It means that even if a life-changing, beautifully written epic comes out it'll probably not get the attention it deserves. I've seen amazing fics get three, THREE comments on Fimfiction and only about eleven likes, even though I would say they're better than any of the big three.
>> No. 117850
It also explains how a fic like Cupcakes got so popular despite not being written that well. It was the concept that counted, and since it was new, everyone jumped on that. :D
>> No. 117851
File 134626887999.jpg - (148.20KB , 1920x800 , 15.jpg )
117851
Welp, the revised version (I believe it's the third time now, if anyone is keeping track) of Past Sins is now uploaded. Anyone want to join me in the masochistic joy of reading through it again and see if it's any good now? I'm not sure if I can manage it on my own.

A trademark Anton Ion review is in the cards for this, I believe.
>> No. 117854
>>117851
Oh, that will be delightful. Did you see how the fanfic got literally hundreds of comments in it's first hour? That fic is so popular!
>> No. 117855
>>117854
Indeed. A prime example of quantity not equalling quality.
>> No. 117856
>>117855
Indeed *smokes pipe*

Still, don't you think that it is dissapointing that a rather lacklustre fic gets heralded as the best thing ever, whilst amazing ones are left in the dirt? It's kind of disheartening.
>> No. 117859
>>117832

Fallout:Equestria is a cute idea that was written out in great detail. It's overrated for sure, but there's a reason we think of FO:E as being its own thing; a post-apocalyptic Equestria instead of strictly a Fallout parody. It definitely deserves recognition.

My Little Dashie is a manipulative tearjerker. People who relate to the main loser and his horribly contrived, miserable life like this story. I refuse to like this story because I feel like the author said "I'll write a main character whose main trait is that he is COMPLETELY MISERABLE, and of COURSE readers will relate to him and cheer when he gets what all of my readers dream of!"

The appeal of MLD = the appeal of Twilight. I dare you to tell me I'm wrong.

There is nothing to like about Past Sins, period.
>> No. 117860
My Little Dashie was like nothing else at the time of its release (and also wish-fulfillment, famous art and shortness).

Because all of those fics started back in the day when Equestria Daily was the only site people really got fics from. Both Past Sins and FOE had their story posts bumped with every update and both sat in "popular posts" on the EqD sidebar.

Then came the (very necessary) story update posts, reducing exposure given to on-going epics. Then came the rise of FIMfic, giving the particularly avid readers a more fic-orientated site to read on with more fics to suit different tastes. The whole thing happened a lot like the way the Internet and related stuff dissolved prime-time-television-based monolithic culture in general a few years ago. People have more fics to read, so each fic gets fewer readers. It's all splintered and divided on taste lines, but also a good deal more diverse and with more quality epics overall – and stuff like Background Pony and Harmony still gets its fair share of love.

>>117851
Every time I remember that I've reread Past Sins more times than any fics I actually liked, I have a little cry (brb sobbing).
>> No. 117861
>>117856
My concern is more in regards to the lost potential, and one must be willing to see why it is so popular, besides adding dollops of cutesy-wutesy frosting on what would otherwise be a rather mediocre store-bought sponge cake. It is easily digested, passing through the collective consciousness like authentic Mexican food would someone that suffers irritable bowel syndrome. There is a simplicity to it, the easy-to-read sentences making it something one can peruse with their brain running idle, the literary equivalent to taking an afternoon nap. Even I was shortly ensnared by its spell, simply taking in the words with little regard to how they had been prepared and presented.

There is little of literary merit in it, yes, but its draw extends beyond that.
>> No. 117862
>>117861
I agree, it's the same reason things like Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey get popular. The vast majority don't want to read high-literature. They just want something that will entertain them.

Still, I don't really like people saying that Past Sins and the like are the best around. Since they're not. You can like them all you want, just don't pretend that a Mcdonalds burger is the same quality as a Michelin star restaurant's food.
>> No. 117863
I think I'm just going to re-say what's already been said, but meh.

Mostly timing.

For Past Sins and Fo:E, they sat in the "Popular Posts" section of EqD for months, extra days being added to their life for each update, in a time when EqD was the place to go to get fanfiction.

High exposure + tightly-knit audience = reknown.

For MLD, it sat at the top of the "Currently being read" section of Fimfiction when it was still a thing.
>> No. 117865
>>117863
Yeah, it does suck that EQD had to take out that bump for every update thing. That gives me an idea though. I might make a thread about it.
>> No. 117867
>>117862
MLD is McDonalds since it's small, sad, and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

>>117865
I already asked Seth about getting single-story bumps for every fifty-thousand words or so, so that might happen with summer wrapping up and the rush slowing down. It's not fair that an author can spam ten 3K fics and get that many posts but someone who's in it for the long haul gets sidelined, despite their stories being more difficult to do in just about every aspect (although that isn't to say a tight one-shot doesn't earn its keep, only that such things are nigh-extinct when it comes to the shipping spam).
>> No. 117869
>>117865
The popular box needs a clause that excludes Nightlys & Drawfriends. There's no point to having them there, given that they're periodical.

Though I get the feeling that blogger isn't very extensible.
>> No. 117871
File 134627274742.jpg - (12.77KB , 300x300 , the_letter_C.jpg )
117871
Ah, another rousing round of fic bashing, and I've read two of these! Then allow me to let myself in on this.

To be honest, I liked MLD and Past Sins, mainly because they made me cry and I'm a masochist for being getting teary-eyed. I also liked Nyx... before she became Not Nightmare Moon.

But I understand the complaints regarding those two fics, that MLD is just wish-fulfillment and Past Sins was weak in the villainy department, and that Nyx is a whiny Mary Sue aimed at getting pity adoration. Regardless, I don't hate her. Such a cool-sounding name, and she's soooo adorable.

As for Fallout Equestria... yeah, I only read three chapters of it before stopping under threat of war-igniting dick-kicking. Y'see, I have a rather short-tempered friend who likes Fallout, and he absolutely hates FOE, though mainly from one controversial scene instead of reading the thing. He doesn't like pony, nor Bronies (myself the exception), and he considers FOE a bastardization of both parties involved.

When I told him that I was reading a bit of it, he sent me this response, which I copypaste for all of you to see:

Also: GODAMMIT STEVE. Don't fucking read that fan fic. DO NOT DO IT. Just don't. It''s not even hard. It will take you less effort to take my suggested course of action. Nothing good can possibly come of you reading it. I will literally give you a $1 the next time I see you if you don't read that damn thing. It will be like watching The Room if all the film were replace with two hours of a guy slowly getting stabbed in the eye with a rusty nail while trying to shout out tough one-liners but all that comes out is this kind of hoarse nasally braying BECAUSE HE'S SCREAMING TOO MUCH BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN GETTING STABBED IN HIS FUCKING EYE.

"DO. NOT. READ IT.

"IF I FOUND OUT YOU READ THAT FAN FICTION DESPITE ALL MY WARNINGS AND MISGIVINGS AND LEGITIMATELY GOOD REASONS TO NOT DO SO SO HELP ME GOD I WILL DRIVE DOWN THERE AND KICK YOU IN THE DICK FAR PAST THE POINT OF THAT PARTICULAR ACT OF VIOLENCE HAVING ANY REMOTE RESEMBLANCE OF A POINT. THIS WILL BE A DICK KICKING OF LEGEND STEVE. PEOPLE WILL TALK ABOUT THIS THING FOR DECADES, POSSIBLY CENTURIES TO COME. IT'LL BE LIKE THE CANING OF CHARLES SUMNER STEVE. IT'LL BE PUBLIC, BRUTAL, AND MAY LIKELY TOUCH OFF THE NEXT AMERICAN CIVIL WAR. FIFTY YEARS FROM NOW, SOME KID WILL BE SITTING ON HIS WITHERED OLD GRANDPAS PROSTHETIC ROBOT LAP. HE'LL ASK HIM "PEEPAW, WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A REAL LAP?" THE OLD MAN WILL GET A HAUNTED EXPRESSION ON HIS FACE, AND HIS EYES WILL GET THIS REAL FAR AWAY LOOK. HE'LL SAY "WELL KIDDO, I LOST IT IN THE SECOND CIVIL WAR, THOUGH YOUR HISTORY TEXTBOOKS WILL LIKELY REFER TO IT AS 'THE GREAT PURGE'. I'M SURE YOU'LL LEARN ALL ABOUT IT IN SCHOOL SOON. IT ALL STARTED WITH THAT INCREDIBLE DICK KICKING DOWN IN OL' SOUTH CAROLINA. THERE WAS THIS ONE FELLA THAT WAS JUST WAILIN' ON THIS OTHER GUY'S DICK FOR LIKE SEVEN HOURS. THE POLICE EVENTUALLY ARRESTED HIM AFTER HE PASSED OUT. WHEN THEY ASKED WHY HE DID SUCH A THING, ALL HE SAID WAS, "I'M TOLD HIM NOT TO READ IT. I FUCKING TOLD HIM.", AND THEN HE WROTE DOWN A URL. THAT URL TOOK THE POLICE TO A TERRIBLE THING, AND EVERYONE AGREED THAT SOMETHING MUST BE DONE, AND THAT THE VIOLENT MAN'S CAUSE WAS TRULY RIGHTEOUS. THEY TOOK IT STRAIGHT TO THE CONGRESS AND PRESIDENT. IT WAS THE FASTEST PASSING OF A BILL IN UNITED STATES HISTORY, KIDDO. I WAS SO PROUD. WE ALL WERE. THE ENEMY WOULD BE FOUGHT WHEREVER HE COULD BE FOUND. THEY TRIED TO RESIST FOR MANY A LONG YEAR. ALWAYS HIDING IN THE BASEMENTS, WAITING TO STRIKE. BUT WE EVENTUALLY FOUND THEM ALL. EVERY COPY OF THE TERRIBLE THING, EVERY TRAITOR WHO READ IT AND PROTECTED IT. WE FOUND THEM AND WE BURNED THEM. WHEN I LOST MY LEGS IN A CHEETO DUST EXPLOSION THEY REPLACED THEM STRAIGHT AWAY, AND I DEMANDED TO GO RIGHT BACK INTO THE FIGHT. EVENTUALLY WE EXPUNGED ALL TRACE OF THE TERRIBLE THING. DOWN TO THE LAST BYTE." THE BOY WILL LOOK AT HIS GRANDFATHER WITH EYES FILLED WITH WONDER AND RESPECT STEVE. TWO THINGS THAT I WILL NEVER EVER FEEL TOWARDS YOU IF YOU DO THIS THING.

"DON'T FUCKING READ IT!


After a response that vividly imaginative, hateful and hilarious, it'd be rude of me to go against it. Rereading it makes me laugh everytime...
>> No. 117872
>>117867 I was more thinking of taking fanfics off EQD altogether and having a sister blog that's directly linked to EQD. That way fanfics can get the attention they deserve, the whole thing can become less chaotic like it is now and Seth won't have to deal with the fanfic side of things which lets him make EQD better.
>> No. 117873
>>117872
If people wanted to go to a different site to get fanfiction, they'd go to Fimfiction.net. A sister blog would fail miserably.
>> No. 117874
>>117872
>>117873
Yes. Fanfics would just end up even worse off in that case, I'd imagine.

>>117869
Good point.
Well, there's No Fanfiction Mode. Maybe they can ghetto up something for it.
>> No. 117876
>>117873 >>117874 Why though? FimFiction is a fanfic hosting site, dedicated to hosting any and all fanfics that fall within its rules. Equestria Daily only posts ones that are considered quality, but the fact that they also have to cover EVERYTHING else bogs down those fics quite a lot. The sister site would literally be right there on the frontpage of EQD as a permenant link. It would simply be a way for fics to get the attention they deserve.
>> No. 117877
>>117876
Because that single link would mean 90% of the people wouldn't see it. It's the same reason why stores put movies at the checkout counters. People pick up entertainment on a whim, so if it's not in their face they aren't going to catch it.

And EqD is hardly super-high quality. They just keep the shit out, not only let the good in. Past Sins shouldn't have gotten in until some major edits and MLD should have been an auto-moon.
>> No. 117879
>>117876
What's the difference between that and going to http://www.equestriadaily.com/search/label/Story then?

I think the ponyfic “publishing” circuit could do with some competition, though—more content like that one guy's pony ramblings. The community is getting big enough.
>> No. 117880
>>117877
I guess so. But what about some sort of sectioned off box of the site dedicated to fanfics? It's still right there on front page, whilst still giving fics bumps every update and such. I'm sure there will still be a space for it to be there, it would just mean that fanfics don't have to deal with the massive amount of other stuff they've got.
>> No. 117882
>>117879
Nah, what I'm saying is that now fanfics have to be on front page which greatly decreases the amount of attention any one fic can get, even though they deserve it. The reason fanfics can't be bumped every update is that they have to be posted on front page, if they were posted somewhere else on the front page or a seperate blog it would allow for that because then the spam wouldn't be so much.
>> No. 117883
>>117880
That just sounds like FimFiction's "Featured" bar.
>> No. 117884
>>117883 No No No No No! You're missing the point so much! Basically what I am saying is that keep the exact same system that we have now for posting fics on EQD, but post it in some sort of seperate box like the Popular Posts part.

The FIMFiction featured box is a showcase of popularity, not anything else. Equestria Daily is a showcase of the fics themselves, no matter how popular they are.
>> No. 117886
>>117883
Or actually, here's another idea. Keep the same box idea, but have it only for story updates? It allows every fic to be bumped when a new update comes, whilst still letting new fics and completed fics be put on the front page.
>> No. 117888
>>117884
I guess it could work. I don't know why you'd need EqD's support, though. Might as well just have your own start up.

Some usable domain names that are available:
equestrianfiction.com (also .net)
mlpfiction.com (also .net)
fimfics.com (also .net)

What are you waiting for?
>> No. 117889
>>117888
I might do that actually, it does seem like a good idea. If I can't find an example of a blog like that's failed and got barely any traffic, I'll do.

But there is one glaring issue. Pre readers. You need pre readers if you want the same quality as EQD, but you need some popularity first so that people actually bother to put their time in for it. And for a fanfic site you'll need pre readers to gain popularity. Not sure if that'll work.
>> No. 117890
>>117889
Eustatian was trying to do something like it. The only reason I can see why it failed was because he spent too much time planning it and not enough time doing it, then got disenchanted with it for whatever reason. If you get into something like this, you've gotta be committed.

People will come. You have to give them a place to come to first.

You'll never know until you try it.
>> No. 117891
>>117890
>>117888
>>117889
Isn't this sorta what Dem's Gummii project is going to do, though? Might as well double up on it and make it both an editing site and cream-of-the-crop showcasing.
>> No. 117892
>>117890
Filler did have one planned as well, and there was this long post of all things the place could do so it could make writers and readers find something useful there.

That whole thing died couple of weeks after it began, whichever reason that happened can only be guessed, but the timing from the last post is quite interesting.

Have a link to the thread:

>>77758

The possible list of content and the remains of the pegasus quill are linked there.
>> No. 117893
>>117890
Well, It will be a nice side project to do on top of GCSEs. I know a few friends who might want to get on it. I've also got a few friends in higher places who will be able to feature the site. I reckon I'll be able to get a decent fanbase.
>> No. 117894
>>117891
And may I have a link to that project? I haven't heard of it before.
>> No. 117897
File 134627799541.jpg - (8.44KB , 320x240 , _4ey.jpg )
117897
>>117891
Purportedly. I wouldn't get your hopes up, though. Things are moving slowly.

>>117892
Filler's thing didn't happen for the same reason Eustatian's didn't happen. Neither of them were committed enough to keep the content rolling.

>>117893
If you ever need any help on the technical side of things, you can send me an email.

>>117894
https://github.com/Deconstrained/Gummii
>> No. 117898
My Little Dashie is one of the best pieces of literature I've ever read. The way the author writes his entire sole into the piece is astounding. The passion and intensity of emotion woven into this story are just so life affirming. There are better things in life, and this story reminds me of that fact. My Little Dashie isn't just a story, it's a proclamation of the joy of living, and anyone who doesn't grasp the tender love of life behind the words is simply missing out.
>> No. 117901
>>117897
That Gumii thing just looked like an editing tool, not a website. Perhaps on my site that'll be able to be incorporated or something
>> No. 117902
>>117901
As it has been mentioned every so often, Gummii is being built as a gradual development with the next steps:

1.) Replace /fic/ because no matter how much we like (or dislike) the place, it sucks for what people do here, which is review and the sort. Gummii will fix this by making it centrally organized and allowing better distribution of reviewing. Talks of adding a karma system so new people will be helped while people who wasted other's time (reviewer or writer) gets the shaft.

The next part has been talked about and said to be possible and being included within the brainstorming, but no actual implementation being planned.

2.) Get some sort of rating system going from the review system, preventing bad stuff from even getting "published".

3.) Add some sort of social place where you can discuss bs and organize stuff with your friends around the previous mentioned stuff. Add here content of review like One pony rambling and stuff.

4.) World domination. Or something.

Gummii aims to start slow, replace /fic/ with something good and then see what happens.
>> No. 117904
>>117902
I'm still not sure what it is. Will it be a site like EQD that features fanfics, or just a way for reviewing fics to be easier?
>> No. 117906
>>117904
I just told you what they told me. The intent is to replace /fic/, and there has been talks about using it to help feature good stories because /fic/ supposedly makes for a better filter and expand it so it becomes a sort of fanfic one stop.

Beyond that? Only Demetrius can tell you.
>> No. 117907
>>117906
Hmm, so it's basically what I'm doing? Unless I can be proven wrong I won't bother if there's someone else doing it, and by the sound of it doing it better than me.
>> No. 117910
>>117907
Well, your thing can't really replace /fic/, because /fic/ is mostly "hi guys, EqD said my story sucked, fix please?"

That's the part I know for a fact Demetrius is working on.

The other section, which is similar to what you want to do but integrated to this stuff Demetrius is doing, is the one I have no idea about.

Again, Demetrius is probably the only one that can tell you.
>> No. 117911
>>117910
And how may I contact this guy?
>> No. 117912
File 134627986194.jpg - (15.32KB , 228x206 , 134592543764.jpg )
117912
>>117911
YO, DEMETRIUS, GET YOUR LAZY ASS HERE AND ANSWER THIS GUY.
>> No. 117913
>>117898

1/10
>> No. 117915
>>117912
I'd rather speak in private. So yeah, EY YO! DEMETRIUS! HOW CAN I CONTACT YOU IN PRIVATE BUDDY?

Speaking in caps is so much fun.
>> No. 117916
>>117913
I think I saw that before... anyone else recognize where is this from: >>117898

And the thread has been derailed...
>> No. 117917
>>117916
At least it was by the OP. I'm fine with it.
>> No. 117918
>>117916
Oh, I completely misread your post. Crap.
>> No. 117919
>>117901
Ahaha. It's not something that you can just "incorporate into your website" with a few mouse clicks, I'm afraid.

Just stick to a blog. It keeps things simple. The biggest issue with all things related to this idea is that they got too ambitious.

Again, Gummii is still a thing for the distant future. If you look at the repo I posted, the last commit was 2 months ago.

Also, the intended purpose of Gummii is primarily reviewing last time I checked, so there's not that much overlap involved. The intention to fulfil all fic-related purposes is there, but you really shouldn't let something that doesn't even exist yet get in your way. Talk is cheap. Hence why I suggest you simply make a blog and focus on making it work. Everything else doesn't matter.

Like I said about Eustatian and Filler's projects, the reason they failed is because they never even got off their feet.
>> No. 117920
>>117919
Well I have got a few ideas on weekly/monthly stuff I'd like to put in. Stuff like an Author spotlight every week and Fanfic news and such. But I'm going to keep it as a place to showcase fics and give them bumps for every chapter. f

What do you mean by them not getting off their feet?
>> No. 117921
File 134628078193.gif - (226.71KB , 477x368 , 143977_slide.gif )
117921
>>117920
Eustatian organized groups, got people together, made high and low plans, and then he didn't post anything and in general didn't do anything with it.

Filler was basically the same thing.

So, actually make it rather than talk about making it, is what he is saying.
>> No. 117923
>>117921
Ahh I see. I really need to learn how to make automated posts if I want to succeed. Maybe it'll fail, maybe I'll just be too lazy to do it. But if it does succeed then I, and a lot of fanfic writers will feel awesome.
>> No. 117934
File 134628657531.png - (77.99KB , 269x269 , twilight_sparkle_approved_by_ambris[1].png )
117934
>>117879 et al.
>I think the ponyfic “publishing” circuit could do with some competition, though—more content like that one guy's pony ramblings. The community is getting big enough.
This. So much this. While I've discussed this point ad nauseum and it has its share of issues (tl;dr - insular judging criteria), it's a much-needed step in the right direction.

>Gummii
Gummii is supposed to replace TTG and review threads. The idea here (and prior ideas like Pegasus Quill and Solar Flare) were to compete against EQD featured fics, in terms of being more selective, and offering critiqued reviews. So yeah, different functions.
>> No. 118025
>>117934
I'm still not sure if Gumii is sort of my idea but better or not. Like, maybe when Gumii comes out it'll be the way for fics to be posted on my site or something. But I'm still not sure whether Gumii's a program or a website.
>> No. 118026
>>118025
...A website is a program, dude.
>> No. 118027
>>118026 OK then. Is it a blog or website like Equestria Daily, or an application to make reviewing easier?
>> No. 118030
File 134631798272.jpg - (13.30KB , 320x240 , _1be.jpg )
118030
>>118027
Gummii is not something that should concern this.

Like I've said, what exactly Gummii “is” is hard to say. I don't speak on behalf of Demetrius, so don't take this as law, but I'm of the impression that the main goal of the website is to be “/fic/, but better”.

I can tell you with certainty that it's not something you could in any way “incorporate” into an existing blog.

Look, I'll be frank. It's obvious you don't have much technical knowledge. That's fine. What you're trying to do here is generate content. Content is independent of an application or website. It's just words. You barely need any technical skills to make a blog. That's what's great about them.

Now, there is the possibility that your content could be delivered through Gummii at some point in the future, but other than that, Gummii is not really relevant to this idea.

You're already falling into the trap the other guys fell into, it seems. Like I said: keep it simple. The simpler it is for you, the simpler it is for others, too. Tell yourself this: It's just a blog. You're not going to make a flashy well-featured website to attract people. You're going to attract people by providing content that they can't get elsewhere. Make content. Make it work. Be practical. That should be your goal. Look at the short term as much as the long term. Don't expect amazing things to happen overnight. Good things come with time, and that time you spend making content.

Focus is the absolute most important thing to making something like this work. Don't get distracted by things that don't matter to you, like Gummii.
>> No. 118031
>>118030
You are wrong about the technical knowledge part. I can work my way around code with a bit of practise, and I've done quite a bit of modding in games. I know my way around software and hardware, I just got the name wrong there.

But yeah, I agree I won't be thinking about making a website as clean and good-looking as EQD just yet. I'll make a banner, add a good comments system and get a style that fits ponies then I'll start asking around for some awesome fics I can put on there day one, which might be easy or hard depending on how I word it.
>> No. 118059
>>118031
At this point, I want to punch you.

Gummii is a far off project which requires a lot of building and scratching to make. In a single word, complex. Even if Gummii remains solely as "/fic/, but better", how it handles things is probably going to be more complicated than most people would realize and thus it is going to take time to make something that doesn't explode.

You want to make a blog. Essentially, you want to go, post stuff, and let people see it. Gummii has nothing to do with this, unless eventually it allows for the same content and you would probably be better off joining forces. But. But. But, that's not relevant right now because Gummii doesn't even exists.

So make the blog damn it.
>> No. 118180
Whoa, derail.

I'll just say this: work be gettin' stressful and I am having less time for fun things. Also, random anxiety attacks and the onset of ADD(?). I will say this though: I think I shall make my project simpler when I can return to it. Done is better than good, and I just want to have fun with it, so complex stuff that we probably won't need can take a hike.
>> No. 118185
>>117871

This was amazing.
>> No. 118275
Well, MLD was released at a time that the "Ponies in Real Life" pictures were very popular. Heck, based off them.

Fallout Equestria, well, write a crossover based on a popular video game and someone's guaranteed to look at it.

Past Sins I'm not sure. I suspect it might be because Pen Stroke was a fairly big-name writer in the fandom even before then, so him having a huge project was probably bound to get some hype.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]


Delete post []
Password    
Report post
Reason