Discuss fanfiction, get writing advice, or get your story reviewed

Search /fic/ threads

Name  
Email  
Subject  
Message  
File     
Password  (for post and file deletion)

File 132653764907.png - (286.65KB , 646x754 , magazine.png )
77758 No. 77758
#Publication #Proof of concept
/oat/ has regular news. Why don't we have regular fics? Published once a week or something. Just throwing the idea out there. No deadlines, no commitments. Just a bunch of one-shots or chapters of fics bundled together in one nice, convenient package. Not exclusive or anything, either.

Art and fic titles blatantly stolen from posts on Ponychan or FiMFiction. The only thing I did was take pictures and add text.
Unspoiler all text  • Expand all images  • Reveal spoilers
>> No. 77790
The nature of stories and /fic/ in general is quite slow paced, which may be why this hasn't came up yet. You can keep up with most of what happens just by lurking around.

That said, it only takes one pony to get it organised. Myself, I don't really understand what "the daily /oat/" is or what it provides to their community. If you could give it a kick start and show how it could help proliferate /fic/, I'm sure others will join in. Lead by example.
>> No. 77791
It could be neat. The difficult part would be finding worthwhile, ready-for-consumption fics. Theoretically, this board is about all things fic, but in reality, we mostly use it as a workshop, and 95% of fics posted here are of the "needs work" variety.

That said, fics that need work do often get worked on, and then they become ready for consumption. So you could probably find some material for publishing.

Personally speaking, I would totally read it if it was formatted like one of those old-timey glossy magazine PDFs that went out of style with Web 1.0.
>> No. 77828
File 132655129697.jpg - (61.75KB , 546x546 , 130665553246.jpg )
77828
So you're looking at a once or twice a month thing then?
Because you know it's a bit slow outside of the enclaves. But if you're willing to do the foot work, it could be a valuable resource. Seeing as no single human could go through the everything that shows up on this board in any given amount of time.

How would it focus on the work in progressness? Would it ignore EqD? Who would make the decision between worthy and unworthy?
>> No. 77830
File 132655892159.jpg - (48.79KB , 853x362 , 430325-vlcsnap_00029.jpg )
77830
This has merit. If you want to do the grunt work to organize its inception and pitch it to the mods, then please do so.
>> No. 77836
Y'know, this sounds like a damn fine idea, and might help people get more readership. I'd love to help out with this if you try to get it up and running, although I don't know exactly what I'd do to help atm.
>> No. 77839
We already have a huge submission that most of the competent stories get posted to.

It's a small website known as "Equestria Daily."
>> No. 77841
File 132656171547.jpg - (972.48KB , 1280x800 , Persona_3_Portable___Wallpaper_by_Archangel_PT.jpg )
77841
>>77839

Well, Nick, I think this project is focused mostly on /fic/ in general, as opposed to all fanfiction in the fandom like EqD is, so in that sense it's more of a social bonding thing among the writers of /fic/, if that makes any sense. You forget that it's more than just individual stories: the publication can highlight authors, certain projects, reviewers, articles on craft, small contests, etc. Not to mention that it doesn't have to have the same submission requirements as EqD (i.e. certain things will get immediately rejected from EqD for certain content regardless of how well the fic is written).
>> No. 77869
I approve of this idea and three quarters of your selections in the image.

As others have said though, it'd be a fair bit of work that I'm not currently prepared to put any time toward helping. You have my support in spirit, but not action.
>> No. 77871
>>77841
>I think this project is focused mostly on /fic/ in general, as opposed to all fanfiction in the fandom like EqD is
So it's like Equestria Daily with less total content

>so in that sense it's more of a social bonding thing among the writers of /fic/
Given the sheer amount of weekly bullshit that goes on in the IRC, that's not exactly a selling point. Now, I'll grant that this would be limited to active contributors to this board, so that might curtail that element slightly, but still... this really just sounds like a /fic/ round-table discussion.

>You forget that it's more than just individual stories
Just like Equestria Daily

>the publication can highlight authors
Just like Equestria Daily

>certain projects
Just like Equestria Daily

>reviewers
Jus... actually, no one really cares about individual reviewers. Ion's famous for being an ass and Samurai's famous for being the best reviewer on the board, but that doesn't extend past Ponychan, and for good reason. No one cares about the architect of a movie theater, they just want to enjoy the films that are shown there. Also, everyone here is either overly secretive or has no secrets, so a "meet the reviewers" forum would either be redundant and inane or uninteresting.

>articles on craft, small contests
Just like Equestria Daily

>Not to mention that it doesn't have to have the same submission requirements as EqD (i.e. certain things will get immediately rejected from EqD for certain content regardless of how well the fic is written).
So... with a lot more gay shipping, 40k crossovers, and self-insert Human in Equestria stories? Other than the stigma against male gay romance, I don't disagree with Equestria Daily's submission standards.


This whole project smells of a terrible idea, just like the competition with FimChan, just like the "200-word story" thing. Hopefully, this time it will get nipped in the bud and not end up wasting the time of everyone involved.
>> No. 77873
>>77871
Has EqD ever actually highlighted any individual fics? Beyond Fallout:Equestria, of course, since that one stems from earlier days when pony fics were more of a big deal.

Now, story updates are lumped together due to the amount of fics that go in there, which does cut visibility.

Also, I keep hearing things like "why doesn't X get the attention it deserves?" Maybe this could help with that.

Of course, something makes me doubt this project will actually get off the ground. The whole thread seems to carry a 'sounds cool, but you do it' vibe.
>> No. 77910
>>77873
Equestria Daily gives stories the "spotlight" twice: when they're posted, and when they're completed.

As for doing that on /fic/, there's the Story Recommendation General over at >>43456.
>> No. 77926
>>77910
Ah, now, those hardly function in the same capacity as what's being proposed here.

EqD gives the spotlight when posted or completed, but it does that for every fic. What this proposes is to highlight exceptional work to a potentially new audience. It could give some older works a new lease on life.

As for the Fic Rec thread, it's all well and good, but it's hardly exposure. Often it slides into the background, off the page - if it was highly visible/active, we wouldn't have all those "Can you find this fic for me please" threads that pop up now and then. Plus, there's little to no focused discussion. Maybe this sort of topic could reel some in?
>> No. 77928
>>77926
Proportionally, you're right.

However, consider the audience of a /fic/-based publication and Equestria Daily. What do you think is going to bring in more readers---fifteen minutes to an hour of exposure on Equestria Daily, or being "story of the month" on a backwater board that no one really goes to?

As for the recommendation thread not getting enough exposure... fair enough, but honestly, after December came and went, I gave up on the new sticky that the mods said they were going to make.
>> No. 77931
>>77928
Hypothetical -
It could be posted on /oat/?

That would increase readership.
>> No. 77932
>>77928
Very true (especially about that damn sticky). Perhaps the matter is, so long as someone is wiling to devote the time to it, it can't hurt to have it. But if no one will pick up the initiative, there's no great loss.

Still, if we could have something to promote discussion, plus maybe some advertisement of it beyond simply /fic/, it could be the start of something new. Does /fic/ want discussion? Or would we have to bring in new visitors to facilitate it? Heh, could be a tourism thing, almost.
>> No. 77934
I thought the plan was that this would appear on the top band, just by the side of the Pinkie Poll and what not, so it would be visible through out all the boards.
>> No. 77947
Everything "good" that happens on this board happens because---not despite the fact that---people on /oat/ tend to stay away from here.

The separation of communities is probably one of the few moderation decisions I agree with on this site, even though I suppose they go against that by spamming the daily /oat/ across every board... Oh well, the Donate button was getting lonely in my list of "blocked frames."

Long story short: /oat/'s got their own damn problems without us aggravating them with our presence and we, a 30-some-odd community, have enough drama as it is without importing any.
>> No. 77950
>>77947
Drama? You are writers, of course you get drama, you even have a whole genre named for it.

That aside, I do agree that making sure /oat/ threads don't stick here is a good thing, but a bit of interboard communication won't kill us and will probably do nothing more than make a couple of stories which should be receiving more attention (your story for example, thank you for writing that) get another outlet with by something which holds to the allegedly higher standards of /fic/.

Plus, /fic/ got transformed by a small group of reviewers who saw that what we had sucked, what is to say oat can't help improve that?
>> No. 77957
>>77950
I may be speaking for a few of us, but just because we write drama doesn't mean we like dealing with drama. The former is a creative process, the latter is a waste of time (especially on the Internet).

Any creative minds or people from /oat/ (or /chat/ or any other board) who want to help /fic/ can just click on the link at the top of the website that says "/fic/." I'd much rather people come here on their own volition than to beat them over the head with a spammed link.

As for your point about this being potentially good for my story... I'm not selfish enough to agree to something that I firmly believe is a "bad idea" just to get a few more readers.
>> No. 77968
Going to try to rerail this.

>>77871
More like the featured stories on FiMFiction without the first-in-first-out setup than like Equestria Daily. This entire thread is nothing more than my shallow attempt to make /fic/ more than /review-with-occasional-discussion-and-recommendations/. The writers here often don't post their stuff outside of review threads; they just send them directly to Equestria Daily or FiMFiction or DeviantArt or what have you. With the publication, fics are guaranteed not to be buried in the hustle and bustle of news or put up at four in the morning and get few readers.

This doesn't seem too complicated, does it? Writers submit stuff, pre-readers greenlight them, and someone compiles them into a PDF or something. The only hurdle I see that has to be jumped is
>Of course, something makes me doubt this project will actually get off the ground. The whole thread seems to carry a 'sounds cool, but you do it' vibe.
this one, because I can't solo this without a lot more blatant thievery.

I don't see how it has to be a "/fic/ round-table discussion". It'd be open to submission for anyone. No authors would get auto-rejected or auto-accepted; it'd depend on the fic and the fic alone. ...Or something. That's what I think, anyways. It's not a social bonding thing. That's what IRC is for. Of course, this idea's kind of out in the open; it's not like I have any real control of this.

>>77957
I'm probably just being dense, but I don't see how drama or /oat/ factors into this.
>> No. 77973
>>77968
>This entire thread is nothing more than my shallow attempt to make /fic/ more than /review-with-occasional-discussion-and-recommendations/. The writers here often don't post their stuff outside of review threads; they just send them directly to Equestria Daily or FiMFiction or DeviantArt or what have you.
/fic/ works as "/review-with-occasional-discussion-and-recommendations/." Hell, it's when people try to get fancy and try to dick with the rules that causes problems.

>I don't see how it has to be a "/fic/ round-table discussion".
It starts on /fic/, it's about /fic/, it's going to just be /fic/ and like one token guy from /chat/.

>With the publication, fics are guaranteed not to be buried in the hustle and bustle of news or put up at four in the morning and get few readers.
You overestimate the traffic this board receives. Unless we involve other parts of Ponychan, but in that case...

>I'm probably just being dense, but I don't see how drama or /oat/ factors into this.
Do you remember what this fandom was like back in March or before then? It was a hell of a lot smaller, that's for sure. People seemed to know each other a lot better, as it was a smaller community. Then, the show's popularity exploded, people flooded into the board, and we all went to our own cliques. I suppose that part of evolution is natural in a society, but at the same time, I like everyone most of the people here, I'd prefer not to drive wedges between people by drawing faction lines.

As for /oat/... I mean this with all due respect, but the social boards on this site attract a different type of crowd than is conducive to constructive works. That's not a bad thing, per se; however, the silliness and personality of /oat/ would not mesh with getting reviews done. The main reason I don't like the IRC for this board is because it annoys me to see people say they'll do a review, then sit on their hands and chat for four hours. I'm not against socializing, but at the same time, I feel that the only reason that the throughput of the Training Grounds has remained somewhat constant is because the influx of new reviewers counteracted the amount of time that people waste chatting instead of reviewing. Again, this isn't to bash one of the basic parts of human nature, but at the same time, reviewing is like work, and therefore, some amount of work ethic ought to be involved.

So you'd get more people, thus deepening the lines of cliquiness that are already upon /fic/, you'd get more socializing instead of reviewing, and---because this involves other boards---you'd have the potential for a Cold War-type situation where a conflict on one board bubbles over and affects the other.


In short, /fic/ has thrived without garnering attention from other boards, and frankly, what we have now is passable. You know the old paradigm, right? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" I think that you had an interesting idea, but it came as a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist in the first place.

Except maybe Equestria Daily's mild homophobia. That's a problem. But I don't think that a /fic/ newsletter would fix that, either.
>> No. 77977
File 132661515230.png - (82.80KB , 500x500 , 132315237798.png )
77977
Hey, uh, Nick... EqD isn't a fanfiction website per se. A large part of it is fanfiction, but fics share front page real estate with YTP's, PMV's and PMS's (Plushie Mane Six).

To be fair though, considering how /fic/ is but one small part of the fanbase and one of several fanfic-oriented communities on the internet, one is better off going to EqD and clicking the "fanfiction" tab if what one wants is a list/bundle of fics that the community produces that is comprehensive and inclusive (well, inclusive of the stuff that isn't bad enough for the pre-readers to say "no").

Well, OP, if what you want is a compendium of works that pass through here on their way to a larger audience, one need look no further than any of the review threads. Therein, decent people work hard picking apart stories to find out what they're made of, but also spotlight the best and worst. Alas, however, there are so darned many review threads, so fics are scattered throughout them. If only more of the new reviewers would join The Training Grounds. So many of them come out of nowhere and seem to feel like making a name for themselves. They make a review thread that dies within a week or two with few if any reviews posted.

I do make regular archives of /fic/. Good o'l wget with option flags -r and --no-parent. Because interesting things do often happen herein.
>> No. 78025
File 132662751525.png - (823.92KB , 1216x1665 , somethinglikethis2.png )
78025
>>77973
/fic/ works as /review-with-occasional-discussion-and-recommendations/, but I'd also like it to do a little more. I'm not trying to fix what isn't broken; I'm trying to upgrade or update it. I have no idea how many people read the Daily Oat, but given its post count compared to the I'm From The Future thread or the Post The Same Picture Of Applejack Fifty Times thread, probably not a lot. A good deal of /oat/ and /chat/ posters are now on /ef/, and those who didn't go to /ef/ probably aren't going anywhere soon, considering how the /ef/ posters are mostly also still on /oat/ and /chat/. Especially not /fic/, considering how they discuss fics on /oat/ or /chat/ or /ef/ or what have you. And from what I can tell from moved threads, those posters do not tend to stay on /fic/. That's why I don't see how /oat/ factors into this.

>>77977
...Well, this is awkward. I've said this line
>if what you want is a compendium of works that pass through here on their way to a larger audience, one need look no further than any of the review threads.
many times myself before, but this is the first time I've been on the receiving end of it. The thing about trawling review threads for fics to read is that good fics in review threads are few and far in between. Because /fic/ reviews are more "Here's what you can do with your fic to make it better" than "Your story does not hold my interest", reading these reviews of a fic isn't particularly helpful in determining whether or not a story is good. (I think the only one who does this on /fic/ is Ion-Sturm, and the few fics he appears to approve of aren't quite my cup of tea.)

But this isn't about "I'm looking for fics". This is about... To be honest, I have no idea. At first I thought it was about "It'd be nice to see /fic/ be more than just /review-long-name-up-there/ and have its regular writers post their works on /fic/ instead of submitting their stuff straight from the review threads to EqD or FiMFiction", then I thought it was about "Writers won't have to fight over timeslots". Now I'm just thinking that it sounds cool to have something of the sort. I don't even know anymore. I was hoping to find some kind of validation and ideas on specifics from others. I guess this is what I get for tossing ideas about at three in the morning.


But yeah, publication and stuff. Despite what I just said, anyone still up for it? Because here's what I'm thinking:

-Writers submit their fic through a post on ponychan.
-A small group of prereaders approve/deny these fics.
-Approved fics are gathered into a PDF or something.
-Maybe some editing to make the fics presented in the same way (e.g. standardizing line breaks, font changes)
-The final result looks something like the pic. (The fics used for example are Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments and Composure. If the authors, Wanderer D and Varanus, want me to take this down, I'll do so.)
>> No. 78041
File 132663791844.png - (29.71KB , 100x100 , mangabigstar1color.png )
78041
>>78025
Oh, that looks cool. This could be very interesting.

>>77977
>but also spotlight the best and worst.
Do they? I've rarely seen this, and even when I do I decide not to read the fic and instead wait for the final edit. I've never felt the review threads to be very conductive to discussion of fics beyond the ones you're submitting personally.

Author threads offer this sort of thing, but they are few and far between and at the discretion of the author to make. I also think there's a stigma against them - quite a few of the openings in those threads are vaguely apologetic about stepping out of line. I had someone suggest I was conceited for creating a thread for Composure, even!

This isn't really a matter of what /fic/ has now. Once upon a time there were no review threads, then the samurai and the training grounds offered to create the infrastructure around which /fic/ functions today. As such, I think it would be very valuable to actually test out this idea and see where it goes.

We've got review threads and recommendation threads and EqD and everything, sure. But none of those act in the same capacity, one that promotes discussion and showcases both new and old gems.

Something interesting may evolve from it, so long as we encourage authors to engage with it.
>> No. 78057
>>78025
>I'm trying to upgrade or update it
Upgrades or updates should either streamline something or fix something; this does neither and has the added risk / pain of making things worse.

The idea of making a /fic/ publication for the people of /fic/ is, again, "cool" but unnecessary. At this point, however, I am repeating myself and therefore, am content to leave this fiasco to its own devices.

Kindly leave any of my past, present, or future works out of this.
>> No. 78231
>>78057
They also add functionality. Of course, any upgrade has the potential to break something, and if this does that, then I suppose I'll... try to kill it or something. It's probably going to die off on its own, though, especially at this rate.

It's (intended to be) submission based despite blatantly stealing things for the mockups, so if you don't submit anything, your works will not be involved in any way. Unless a greenlit fic (assuming this actually goes anywhere) makes a reference to something you wrote, but that won't really have much to do with this proposed publication. A shame, too, because I thought Two Beats didn't get the exposure or recognition I thought it deserved. Nor this >>60374 story.

>>78041
>As such, I think it would be very valuable to actually test out this idea and see where it goes.
Might I get your help on this in some way, then? Though I suppose it's only fair that it's entirely possible (and quite likely) that this won't be anything more than, as Nick pointed out, a terrible idea and a waste of your time.

Because at the moment, what you said at >>77926
>What this proposes is to highlight exceptional work to a potentially new audience. It could give some older works a new lease on life.
is kind of what I'm thinking of at the moment.
>> No. 92761
File 133258934003.png - (1.39MB , 1113x2136 , loltest.png )
92761
Well, I haven't given up on this just yet, though I've come to realize that this is a huge pain to format. Anywho, if anyone's interested in editing or prereading, please respond to this post. Or send fics that you want to see edited like this to me so I can format them and stuff. (One-shots only, please.) Email's in the trip.

Fic in picture is A Case of You by Sparky!Darks, used entirely without permission.
>> No. 92985
File 133269600515.jpg - (252.30KB , 792x1152 , 1313705178496_jpg (792×1152).jpg )
92985
A couple of points:

For this to work you will have to take a guide from magazines, newspapers and the sort.

First, you might want to make it be more along the lines of a newsletter of sorts, where people give their email address, they receive a PDF or other type of file and then read from it, so they don't have to actually look for it. This will both make it easier for people to share ("Hey, look at this document I found") and would make your live so much simpler as people would have an specific e-mail to either send stuff so it can be formatted, send notes of errata should it come to that, and perhaps even interact with the publication in question. It's nice a publication exists, but if the people don't feel it's following their needs, well, they won't read it.

Second, you will need to make sure you have a standardized lot of content which to use, because people as reader have certain expectations about the sort of nature of the content they want to see from any particular publication; having a free-floating “well, today, whatever” or “we said today we would do shipping fics, here is how to sent things through FedEx” then you won’t get readers. Some suggested sections would be:

>1.) The invited author interview and story
This would be a simple section, where an author is invited to give some insides into the writing process, a small short story of any length for the occasion is shown just before, and some background information is given for whoever wants to read their work.

>2.) Writing Questionaire
This place is build upon the idea of improving writing, but the advice is kind of scattered, the guides sometimes don’t deal with the specifics one is actually concerned about, and at times it becomes problematic because people go, give bad advice, and the person is left worse off than they were before. To counter this, a small section where five questions are selected to be answered (ones not dealt with before) and then answer is explain at some length, pointing out examples of correct usage in fiction, examples of willful ignorance of them and their purpose, and in general just a little part where readers can go “Oh, ok, so that makes sense it works like that” with the assurance that the answer will be checked to ensure they are right (we have plenty of resources here to deal with that). Maybe also have a list of guides and links which might be useful?

>3.) The Flash entries
Simple business really, a collection of three 1000< word completed stories with no particular theme will be chosen from the entries if the quality is good enough. Think of it as a small sampling of new, incoming authors, so people can present their writing styles and let people know if they want to know more of their work. 400 words allows it to be read quite fast, puts strain of the author to be economical with words while still being good with content, and ensures readers can get a good handle where people stand.

>4.) The funny
This is simply aimed at adding a bit of humor to the mix, perhaps focusing with a small critique why the humor, or crackness, of the story works or not. Perhaps even the MSTing of stoires.

>5.) Restrained
This would be a collection of stories with a specific restrained, should be to use only one character in particular, use some plot, begin with a specific line, etc. Perhaps even make it a completion would be feasible, but that is for much later.

>6.) Essays/Critiques
Whoever wants to write an essay about writing, writing aids, stories, authors, or just give out long, well-thought-out critiques of the fandoms works will go here, allowing people to express their opinion freely about the different works.

>7.) Events and related stories.
The /fic/ write-off. The national pony fiction writing month. Anniversaries of diverse subfandoms. Announcement from parts of writer. Go bonkers.

>8.) The publications suggested stories for each tag
Self-explainable. No submissions, those working with the thing would be out there, hearing out good stories and choosing which one is best to mention there again, maybe even revisit old ones. A small explanation why it was chosen (and a disclaimer explaining how it doesn’t mean that it’s endorsed as the best, just considered a good suggestion as to what to read next) and some perspective as to where it stands might be good.

An there can be many other sections as you go along, but a standardized expectation of what to find within the thing is a good thing because people will know what to look for, perhaps even when.

As for EqD already having a place, well, it’s a well filtered dumping ground, but it is still a dumping ground. This thing should aim to become a sort of guide for the people to look at, with different sections aimed to cover the whole range of matters that writing involves (an essay why EqD is flawed as a system for selecting the best of the best, or a critique of why you find Humans in Equestria such a band concept, are a good example of something which would not appear on EqD but has a lot of merit to themselves as long as they are more than “U SUCKZORS”).

This can be made to work, you just need to know what the purpose is.
>> No. 92995
File 133270237191.jpg - (348.21KB , 792x1152 , 2011-12-21-23p16.jpg )
92995
>>92985
Dr. McNinja is best ninja (and doctor).
>> No. 93000
File 133270416820.jpg - (216.48KB , 792x1152 , doubt.jpg )
93000
Without a doubt.
>> No. 93499
>>92985
>1.) The invited author interview and story
>This would be a simple section, where an author is invited to give some insides into the writing process, a small short story of any length for the occasion is shown just before, and some background information is given for whoever wants to read their work.

Hey, that sounds kinda familiar... *cough* www.ponyfictionvault.net *cough*
>> No. 93752
>>93499
Indeed, it does.

As a matter of fact, why not join forces? All things considered, a publication delivered to e-mail directly would make it easier to find all of this, plus it would bring about greater interaction between more people.

Carrying this out will be an interesting experiment in organization and collaboration, allowing it to be easier for more people to have something more "solid" than going through the pony versions of FF.net. In other words, an actual fanfic publication rather than dumping grounds, filter or no filter.
>> No. 93861
>>93752
Well, I'm open to exploring the idea, certainly. I've already expanded the Vault's community interaction somewhat by crossposting over at FIMFic... I'd have no problem with contributing interviews to this project as well. I regret that I'd be unable to provide any real help beyond supplying the interview(s) - I just don't have the time or resources to do more at the moment.

I don't know what kind of length or publication rate you're looking for, but I do ~4 interviews a month that are generally 3 pages long or so; could do more than one in an issue (assuming you're not doing them weekly) if you wanted more length.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you want to talk further - I'm notoriously bad at checking in here with any kind of regularity.
>> No. 93864
Hey, filler, what exactly is going to happen with this? Are you gonna do the thing above or is that anons talking?

>inb4 you anon
>> No. 93865
>>92985
Sorry I haven't responded to this, but, uh, wow. Definitely taking this format into heavy consideration.

>>93864
No one's emailed me any stories for a beta issue, so I'm going to have to steal more stories or something.

>>93861
I was thinking twice a month.
>> No. 93867
>>93865
No, I mean, like the format, is that official or is that anons just talking hot hair?
>> No. 93872
>>93867
I wouldn't call it hot air, but I haven't a format determined yet.
>> No. 94118
>>93865
I aim to serve my friend.
>> No. 102078
File 133680579119.png - (133.25KB , 859x704 , stuffa.png )
102078
Sent this in an email earlier today, dropping it here.


Goal: Draw attention to underrepresented good* fics. Possibly give more coverage to multichapter fics--those have been in decline lately due to FiMFic's featured bar.

Audience: I'm not sure how else to put it, so the intended audience will be "those with expectations as high as /fic/'s". There will be some funny, some touching, some adventurous, etc. Perhaps that's a bit reaching?

*Good, of course, is subjective.
- Fics that are well written and gripping to read.
- Fics that are memorable.
- Fics that are recommended by someone. This is not meant to be FiMFiction or Equestria Daily, which are effectively dumping grounds, given their current statuses. It will be based on "reject because no reason to accept" instead of "accept because no reason to reject". Thus, stories like Derpy's Diary will not be accepted.
- Fics that people would want to read over actual books. Why would someone read a story about pastel coloured ponies when they could read about Raskolnikov's internal struggle or whatever happens in Game of Thrones?
- The fics should spur discussion of some sort. Some more than "That was absolutely amazing. 5/5" or such and such.

Also possible:
- Columns.
- Essays.
- Editorials.
- Announcements of news and events and such.

Ideas: Run the entire thing out of Tumblr. Ease of updating and formatting... I think. Spreading the word is easier with reblogging, and artists all use tumblr anyways. Still testing; you can see what I have at the moment at http://pegasusquill.tumblr.com
- for updates, it could be hourly, daily, or weekly, or anything in between. The goal is to give multichapter fics exposure while highlighting oneshots.
- Tumblr's full of artists that fret about not being noticed. Perhaps they can be contacted. (Unfortunately, tumblr is not too kind to my idea of putting pictures directly into the text like you would see in, say, the editorial section of a newspaper or in a magazine.
- Synopses are bad for oneshots and tags are even worse (for the most part).
- Actively search for good fics.
- Edit the fics that do go up.
- Give subcommunities' fics more exposure by treating them like any other fic that passes in terms of quality, rather than lumping them into a compilation.
- Anonymous submission, kind of. The fic submissions will have their names stripped by editors before being sent to an approval team, and then given back to editors who put the names back on. Eschew bias and all that.

Sturm has said that the current format looks too cramped. I'd try expanding it, but I don't know HTML or CSS or web development stuff.


Thoughts on anything? Is using Tumblr a terrible idea? Before Tumblr, it was going to be a PDF and a mailing list. Does the name sound stupid? Anything at all?
>> No. 102080
>>102078
I like it. I wouldn't say it's cramped so much as it has nice margins that are good for fic-reading, as well as delicious unindented formatting.

Followed.
>> No. 102085
File 133681094498.jpg - (7.17KB , 168x168 , 6117682-omega-symbol-in-glass-3d.jpg )
102085
So how does one try to toss their hat, or in this case fic, into the ring?
>> No. 102087
>>102085
For now, Email me or use the submit link on the right of the page.
>> No. 102103
File 133683718616.jpg - (64.45KB , 349x304 , Minato_Arisato___Persona_3_by_a1pha_5tigma.jpg )
102103
>>102078

I said it before and I'll say it again, I think this is a good idea and I rather like it. Just one question:

>- Fics that are recommended by someone. This is not meant to be FiMFiction or Equestria Daily, which are effectively dumping grounds, given their current statuses. It will be based on "reject because no reason to accept" instead of "accept because no reason to reject". Thus, stories like Derpy's Diary will not be accepted.

What's that supposed to mean? I mean I've never read Derpy's Diary so I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. It makes it sound like the burden of proof (for lack of a better term) is on the writer as opposed to the editor, but isn't it like that for other fanfic sites?
>> No. 102106
>>102103
Oh, derp. This is what I get for speaking from hearsay. I heard someone say that Derpy's Diary went up on EqD because there was no reason to reject it.

I don't think I answered your question. Clarification, please?
>> No. 102107
And really, everything's still developmental and subject to change if better ideas come along.
>> No. 102108
>>102103
...And when I wrote that, I think I had something or other about a focused audience in mind, hence "dumping ground". Not sure where I was going with that, specifically.
>> No. 102114
>>102103
According to the Ask thread, Derpy's Diary got posted by blogpony fiat, over the objections of the pre-readers. Haven't read it myself.
>> No. 102118
>>102114

Oh.

>>102106
>>102107
>>102108

I guess I meant that I don't know the difference between "accept because no reason to reject" and "reject because no reason to accept", since they both require the author to be good. Are you just saying that the fic has to be more than competently written, but must also be...I dunno, something more? If that's the case, isn't that a reason to reject?

...I think I'm getting to into this.
>> No. 102151
>>102118
>the difference between "accept because no reason to reject" and "reject because no reason to accept"

Basically, it's the difference between
>This isn't terrible and it plays by the rules, so let's accept it.
and
>This doesn't compel me, so let's reject it.

The policy should lead to a small pool of must-reads rather than EqD's large selection of general pleasantness.
>> No. 102162
File 133686176761.png - (247.92KB , 597x451 , Draconequuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.png )
102162
>>102114
Blogpony fiat trumps all. Proof:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/magneto.html
>> No. 102186
Thoughts:

- It is high time for pony lit zines, plural.
- I was hoping the big EqD announcement would be the return of opinionated and interesting story posts. Nope. They continue to post without comment and host YouTube-level discussions.
- I call dibs on the name "Solar Flare Review and Lunar Annex"
- Even so, [Eustat: stop sucking and learn to write*] is a higher-priority personal goal than [Eustat: found a zine]
* I really should be good enough to get fics on EqD reliably before I bitch them out.
- Multiple zines with strict standards will likely provide a more satisfying playing field for both authors and readers than a monolithic one.

- EqD isn't a dumping ground. EqD is your English teacher or (particularly strict) mother and is trying to get the best out of you as an author. Either that, or their standards are oddly inconsistent.


Things I want as a reader:

- Don't recommend fics without reading the whole thing. Be extremely careful with serial publication.

- Don't recommend fics without opinionated comment. FiMFiction is a rather good aggregator / search engine / social platform and trying to duplicate that role will be a losing fight.

- Do be opinionated and pushy. I want controversy in editorial letters and reviewers who throw barbs at each other. (e.g. "White Box" - it seems everyone loves it or hates it - my opinion is "nice first fic; needs better description or horror or both; Air is already kicking its butt" for example. Other readers love it. Let's have a couple paragraphs of disagreement, then.)

- There's room for varying degrees of selectivity, even in the same publication. Pick a few to get a lot of attention and other also-rans.

- Thanks to hypertext, there really isn't a requirement to copy fics into your zine. Personally, I'd rather read e-books, which suggests FiMFiction and PFA as my favorite hosts.

Others

- Developing specific stories or authors isn't a zine's job.
- Promoting the craft is. I'd love to read features like "Resuscitate My Boring Prose" or "Commas and Discipline" or anything else along the lines of opinionated how-to with examples and pain.
- I should type up my thoughts on requiring multiple readers for accept / reject and how to keep up with high volume even so.
- Promote your zine by asking authors to link back to you in their description or notes. ("Featured by The Solar Review")
- Educate your readers by talking about a fic's strengths and weaknesses. That way, they might learn what a Sue is, what we mean by "descriptive writing," start noticing plot holes and when Dei ex Machinis work and when they themselves find the technique annoying, etc. etc.

- We so need somepony willing to spotlight the tiny fraction of clop that doesn't suck.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]


Delete post []
Password    
Report post
Reason