Discuss fanfiction, get writing advice, or get your story reviewed

Search /fic/ threads

Name  
Email  
Subject  
Message  
File     
Password  (for post and file deletion)

File 133109667826.jpg - (26.59KB , 256x133 , mlpfim-s2-read-it-and-weep-ep16-full_256_133.jpg )
89378 No. 89378
#Discussion
Now that the write-off is over, I figured some discussion of the winners and losers might be in order. Since I know a lot of authors here competed, what did you think of the winners? And what were some stories that didn't make the cut which you enjoyed?

To see all the stories, go here: http://www.fimfiction.net/index.php?view=group&group=364

Personally, I really liked Homecoming (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/11746/Homecoming), and was impressed that it managed to wedge in all three prompts and still be a funny story.
Unspoiler all text  • Expand all images  • Reveal spoilers
>> No. 89418
I got so burned out looking at garbage stories during the reviewing process that I went all like: "A pox on the whole foul lot of them!"
>> No. 89421
OK. Sure. I'm a bit drunk now, and I can speak my mind without caring who knows it. Know what I want to talk about? How some of the people voting must have been trolls on a mission to down rate stories without reading them.

I'm not afraid to say that I took the contest seriously, and pretty much brought my A game. The story I spent an entire week of my free time and effort on received the equivalent of a one star rating (7 of 9 thumbs down). While that wasn't the deciding factor in the contest, I can't imagine that it did any good to garnish me any votes.

I can't imagine that THAT many people hated my story. Most likely they just didn't want to read it and got angry at the length. So they retaliated with a negative rating without even leaving a comment.

And before you tell me that it sucked, let me assure you that it didn't.

For now this is Rex Ivan's drunken angry comment on the contest. Tune in later after I've sobered up for my nice thoughts on the subject.

And for the record I thought the winners DID deserve to win.
>> No. 89426
I'm sad there wasn't a short list, or an honorable mentions for more than just the top 3 stories considering there were 241 fics in the contest. I enjoyed participating though. I managed to come up with a decent plot, and execute it poorly within the week, but I look forward to fixing it up and resubmitting it to fimfic in a little bit.

I pestered knighty a little bit and found out I got fourth in the public voting (admittedly, he also told me that didn't mean much). I really just wish I had gotten the sort of feedback the winners of the contest got from the judges, but I suppose I can get that from other reviewers.

Only winner I read while voting was dodge junction. It was good, and I sort of felt like "well, I'm definitely not going to win anymore" as I read it, but between it feeling very loosely tied to the prompt, and it feeling like the plot was stolen from some western movie I can't put my thumb on at the moment, I felt slightly irked the whole time I was reading it.
>> No. 89428
>>89421
If it makes you feel any better, I looked at your story and disliked it a lot, but I didn't lick the down vote button.
>> No. 89434
>>89428

If you didn't like it, then you didn't like it. I did what I could to make it (I thought) an enjoyable story, for what it was. If I failed to entertain then I am sorry.

I just hoped that those who didn't enjoy it would have spoken up to tell me why they didn't like it.

... and I appreciate the fact that you didn't thumbs down my story. Thanks.
>> No. 89438
>>89434
Well, next time... write a story that's actually good...
>> No. 89442
>>89438
Let me pick something out of the blue from the story.

>On the ground the situation was not under control. Even as the day neared noon, the smoke was still thick enough to block out the sunlight in some areas. The maze of collapsed trees and flaming debris was navigable only after the pegasi had induced an updraft to funnel the majority of the stifling indigo vapors skyward.

First, you missed the comma "ground, the situation". Furthermore, you see that everything is in the passive voice. There's a raging fire and yet everything is written so blandly. You're whole fic is like that. It's long, and it reads like homework.

I read something like "Even as the day neared noon, the smoke was still thick enough to block out the sunlight in some areas" and I just think about how much better it could have been as something that didn't violate 'show don't tell'.

Maybe "Fluttershy glanced up, gasping at the awful sight. She watched as the ugly smoke seeped up so high that it even blocked the sun. She steeled herself, heading back over to her animals."

So, take your well-deserved downvotes and start improving your style.
>> No. 89445
>> 89442

If you had bothered to actually tell me this in the comment section, then I would have accepted it. With no comment to tell me where I fucked up, comes a lot of resentment at a perceived troll.

We both learned something here. I'll correct my mistakes, will you do the same?
>> No. 89448
File 133111413622.png - (194.61KB , 632x351 , 130712435467.png )
89448
This contest was bad and I feel bad for participating in it even if it was very tangentially as just voting for stories.
>> No. 89450
File 133111464885.png - (95.46KB , 900x900 , derpy look up.png )
89450
>>89445
That's the problem with low-starring or thumbing down without saying why. The writer always gets defensive, thinking that "my fic can't possibly be that bad."

I hope you're not saying that thumbing down without saying why in the comments is some kind of mistake. There's a reason the comments to votes and votes to views ratio is amost always as low as it is, and that reason is that there's usually no reason for the reader to comment or even vote. You entered your fic in a contest, and I'd say that has some implication of you deeming your fic finished and presentable. How often do you say why you liked or disliked a fic when you read them on Equestria Daily?

I also hope you're not asking the other anon to correct your mistakes.

Welcome to /fic/. Have a muffin.

>>89448
Care to say why?
>> No. 89453
>>89450
>that reason is that there's usually no reason for the reader to comment or even vote.

Mmhmm. This applies to any fic being published, really. Unless the reader is emotionally invested in your work, commenting is just a waste of time.
>> No. 89454
>>89450

No Derpy, I wasn't asking Anon to correct MY mistakes, only his own. You knew that, stop being retarded.

Wow, I was kind of expecting a somewhat friendly but firm response from this forum, and yet I get a pool full of piranha. Seriously, what's up with that? What happened to "love and tolerate"?

There is a difference between being honest and being mean for the enjoyment of it. You all know the difference, but it seems that you don't care. It doesn't seem like you're hoping anyone gets better at what they do. You're only concerned with how much emotional pain you can shovel off onto somepony. Let's not pretend that it's anything other than that.

And let's be honest here, you don't need to be a dick to review a story (no, it doesn't help).

Yes, I know I'm being trolled. I'm just too drunk to care.

... and thank you for the muffin.
>> No. 89455
Wow, I can practically smell the passive aggressive in this thread.
>> No. 89459
File 133111732578.png - (182.23KB , 900x1125 , 130759746222.png )
89459
>>89454
>No Derpy, I wasn't asking Anon to correct MY mistakes, only his own. You knew that, stop being retarded.
>pic

That aside, responses like >>89442 aren't meant to shovel on emotional pain. They're for improvement of your writing. See, the excerpt >>89442 pulled showed something really bad about your fic: You told instead of showed. "Show, don't tell", as you've probably heard, is really important in writing narrative. It's one of the biggest reasons some fics don't get on Equestria Daily, and for good reason, too.

There is no being mean for enjoyment--not from me, anyways. /fic/ is like a forge, and its fires are pretty hot. The link in the directory ( http://derpy.me/S1nFp ) has a link to all the active (and some inactive) review threads, dedicated to helping writers. There's no very little shallow praise on /fic/.

I hope you feel better in the morning when you're sober.
>> No. 89460
>>89459

OK, maybe I was the one being mean. You're not retarded. We all know it.

I'm just used to criticism not being so blunt and mean. The fact that the bluntest ones are Anons leads me to think that I'm being screwed with, and no one likes that to happen.

If my story sucked, then fine. I just want to know why, and FIM didn't tell me. This place has told me, but I'm wary to regard some of the advice, not from the Anons. I have too many bad memories from 4chan about how Anon tried to "help" something ... anything, and it instantly turned foul.

And, yes, I'll look things over once I'm sober.
>> No. 89463
>>89460
Don't be so defensive. Anonymous commenting is just something people like to do when their names are not relevant to what they are saying and would like you to take their posts at face-value.

Remember that Anonymous is not actually any single person.

And if
>So, take your well-deserved downvotes and start improving your style.
is harsh criticism in your book, then you ain't seen nothing yet. The internet is a harsh and unforgiving place and the truth is that nobody on it cares how much effort you've put into your work if they don't enjoy it.

It might also be a good idea not to post on imageboards while intoxicated. It doesn't reflect well on you.
>> No. 89464
File 133112051098.png - (199.90KB , 600x600 , 132872762276.png )
89464
Can you pleasestop using retarded as a pejorative? It's especially poor form when you're talking to someone who avatars as Derpy. Everyone here is in the interest of helping each other, so there's no need to stoop to such debauchery.
>> No. 89541
File 133115480543.jpg - (161.07KB , 1024x768 , j2ye.jpg )
89541
I'm sick of this censoring. It makes me fucking nauseous being fucking exposed to it for too fucking long; it's like a fucking bath of fucking radiation eating away at my fucking insides. Wait a moment...

>Listen to this one then; you open a company called the Arse Tickler's Faggot Fan Club. You take an advert in the back page of some gay mag, advertising the latest in arse-intruding dildos, sell it a bit with, er... I dunno, "does what no other dildo can do until now", latest and greatest in sexual technology. Guaranteed results or money back, all that bollocks. These dills cost twenty-five each; a snip for all the pleasure they are going to give the recipients. They send a cheque to the company name, nothing offensive, er, Bobbie's Bits or something, for twenty-five. You put these in the bank for two weeks and let them clear. Now this is the clever bit. Then you send back the cheques for twenty-five pounds from the real company name, Arse Tickler's Faggot Fan Club, saying sorry, we couldn't get the supply from America, they have sold out. Now you see how many of the people cash those cheques; not a single soul, because who wants his bank manager to know he tickles arses when he is not paying in cheques!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjj8eMNxivM

Also related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_7I_WYqFA

>>89450
Because almost everything that I read sucked and hard. Not to mention that it was a bad idea from the get-go.
>> No. 89546
File 133115627399.jpg - (39.28KB , 510x510 , 131195198218.jpg )
89546
>>89541
>Because almost everything that I read sucked and hard. Not to mention that it was a bad idea from the get-go.
>Because almost everything that I read sucked and hard.
An collection of unmoderated fanfiction written by basically everyone was mostly terrible? Oh wow, that's unbelievable! No freakin' way did that happen!

...

Sturgeon's Law, bro. You should have known what you were getting into when you decided to start reading submissions.
>> No. 89551
>What happened to "love and tolerate"?
This is /fic/, most people here prefer to deal in truth and logic.

>>89464
>It's especially poor form when you're talking to someone who avatars as Derpy.
Er... how? I mean, I get that using "retarded" is minorly offensive, but I don't see how someone having a different picture of a pony takes that from a "-5 politness points" to a -6 or whatever.
>> No. 89552
File 133115717553.png - (167.27KB , 400x402 , 1326347894498.png )
89552
>>89546
Sturgeon's Law is something like: "90% of everything is garbage." What happened was about "100% is garbage" with even the supposedly 'good' stories coming up pretty medicore and pretty pedestrian.

And this wouldn't have happened if there were more rules about writing to the specific prompts, what had to be in the stories, what the length had to be, and so on.

I mean, sure, I'm in a bad and depressed mood currently anyways... but I regret seeing these whole contest go on for sure. Stupid fimfiction.
>> No. 89556
Hi all. Here's my public apology.
Sorry about last night, what with me posting while drinking and all.
Also sorry for me being an overly defensive little wanker to those who were offering me advice.
Sorry to OP for mucking up his thread too. Won't happen again.
>> No. 89560
>>89464
>Can you pleasestop using retarded as a pejorative?
Should he use it as a compliment then? Oh, you mean he should use some other pejorative.
>> No. 89584
File 133115929158.png - (281.70KB , 1861x3026 , 131918547892.png )
89584
>>89551
Derpy and the recent events surrounding her should be a good reminder that ableism is pretty poorly understood.

>>89560
It's just courtesy. When everyone else is being polite, you don't need to go around making yourself look like a huge dick.
>> No. 89589
File 133115959999.png - (29.52KB , 347x406 , Glare.png )
89589
>>89584
And all of that hubabaloo was ret--stupid, as well. Derpy's a terrible name for a pony, both voices are godawful, the fans on both sides of the issue going insane over it was hilarious, and the fanon around Ditsy is bullshit, too. Just because someone has fucked-up eyes doesn't mean they're mentally handicapped.
>> No. 89591
>>89589
>Derpy's a terrible name for a pony
no

>both voices are godawful
no

No offense, bro, but you have sucky taste in pony material.
>> No. 89592
>>89584

>When everyone else is being polite, you don't need to go around making yourself look like a huge dick.

Yes. I'm sorry for that part too.
>> No. 89606
>>89378

>I'm responding to the OP, and no one can stop me!

Honestly, I didn't much care for the third place entry. Making fun of crappy self-inserts is like shooting fish in a barrel, and there were kind of a lot of spelling mistakes, even in the parts that weren't supposed to be crappily edited. The first and second place stories I both thought were great--I guess Swiper didn't find them when he was reading.
>> No. 89607
>>89591
Fan names tend to lack creativity because it's the lowest common denominator which becomes popular. The official names tend to be either clever puns or descriptive of some aspect of the character. Fan names usually are what ever first comes to mind.

>No offense, bro, but you have sucky taste in pony material.
He made two statements and that's enough to judge his ability to judge?
>> No. 89675
I seem to remember someone commenting that they couldn't find a shortlist from the competition, so I did a tiny bit of digging. Enjoy.

http://www.fimfiction.net/index.php?view=group&group=364&folder=592&view_all
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]


Delete post []
Password    
Report post
Reason