Traditional and video games

Search /g/ threads

Name  
Email  
Subject  
Message  
File     
Embed    
Password  (for post and file deletion)

File 140978915688.jpg - (65.62KB , 480x640 , Okcupid_8_jul_2014_4.jpg )
132310 No. 132310
We wanna talk about this?
30 posts omitted. Last 50 shown. Unspoiler all text  • Expand all images  • Reveal spoilers
>> No. 132360
>>132340
Not my fault they threw in with a shitty human being.
>> No. 132361
>>132358
>Fox News "Mass Effect Rape Simulator"
They never said anything about rape.
The logic was that kids like to play video games, so sex being in one could potentially expose a child to sexual acts.

Which I look at two ways, either a kid that was mature enough to get to that point by navigating all the dialogue trees and really taking in the writing of the game won't be that much phased by it or if it's some retard who got there via guides just so he could giggle like a moron is too stupid to be effected by it.
>> No. 132362
Youtube embed play button
  >>132361
See video.
See also: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/26/arts/television/26mass.html?_r=0

Fox News fabricated "facts" about Mass Effect to turn it into a sensationalist expose about how awful video games are. When people called them out on it, they dumped the blame entirely on one of their anchors and pretended to be sorry. Despite doing exactly the same thing again and again and again.
>> No. 132363
>>132362
I find it funny that now gay marriage is standard in RPGS and no one says a thing.
>> No. 132389
>>132363
What moon do you live on? Some people still insist that all video games are literally Satan himself.
>> No. 132395
>>132362
>sensationalist
I don't know if six minutes of a hour time block show really can be described as this. Really more gamers got butt frustrated over this than any one else did. Video games being discussed outside of video game realms really has no impact on "normal" people.
>> No. 132396
>>132395
It's almost like people who don't care about video games don't care about video games.
>> No. 132398
>>132395
>>132396
The purpose of this news story was to stir up controversy and make people support further efforts to punish the video game industry. It's sociopolitical propaganda. Which is 90% of all of Fox News' "news".
>> No. 132399
>>132396
This. So much this.

>>132398
Which it didn't and again to this day the only people it effected are the gamers that got butt hurt.
But I love when people ignore when shit like this pops up on liberal media, it's only when specifically Fox does it.
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/6itgwq/indecision-2012---floridal-kombat
Pretty nice to cherry pick the female character to have the X-Ray and fatality done on her to try and stir up feminists.
Again though for a third time now, no one gave a shit.
>> No. 132448
File 141076203763.jpg - (14.60KB , 126x123 , Internet In A Nutshell.jpg )
132448
This whole GamersGate thing seems to resound heavily with this >pic for me.

It's not so much that anything has changed with gaming journalism, or even if it's necessarily any worse than the lousy-arse entertainment-driven journalism everywhere else in modern media... rather, it's that a lot of people on the Internet inject drama into their lives with all the fervor of a heroin addict injecting it into their veins.

Last edited at Sun, Sep 14th, 2014 23:24

>> No. 132449
>>132448
The internet community is an endless cycle of "hey guys look I found a controversy!" "THIS IS THE BIGGEST THING SINCE EVER WE MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS" "eh bored of that"
>> No. 132452
>>132448
Honestly, I don't even bother doing anything about it, because of course the corrupt will get away with it, they already convinced everybody that they're in the right, that they're innocent victims while all gamers are immature and nasty. It's pointless to fight back against them.
>> No. 132455
>>132452
The only reason the system works the way it does is because enough people let it.
>> No. 132687
File 141482088192.png - (1.02MB , 1024x1094 , 1414588398334.png )
132687
It's been close to three months now, hasn't it?

Three months and it hasn't ended. Nothing has even come close to stopping it, and I get the feeling that it's going to keep going until at least Black Friday.

Hopefully more good comes out of it.
>> No. 132688
>>132311
The Depression Quest review was never written in the first place. Parasprites just see this as an opportuninty to campaign for the neckbeard nerd culture and attack women and men supporting equal rights among both genders.
>> No. 132689
File 141482644238.png - (43.13KB , 240x279 , Yuuka 1401857748284.png )
132689
>>132687
I don't think it's going to end until the offending sites end up losing all their advertisers and potentially close down... good riddance.
>> No. 132690
>>132688
This is kind of like how woman bitch about no female characters but don't complain about not enough female to kill right?
Actually that's the complete opposite of your point.
>> No. 132691
>>132688
Or maybe it's gamers finally getting sick of the gaming media bullshit and revolting, but constantly getting swatted down because a woman was the spark that lit the fuse, and thus, people use that as an excuse to demonize all gamers as sexist pigs.

Or maybe it has lost all meaning already, and it's a battle between tiny-dicked angry sexless nerds versus selfish vindictive feminists that dragged in gamers who are sick of being treated like shit for the audacity of giving this stupid fucking industry custom and egalitarians who just want to defend people getting unjustly harassed.

The thing is, both sides can only see themselves as valorous knights and the other side as filthy curs. This is why this whole debacle was reduced to a fucking joke.
>> No. 132692
>>132691
>opinions fighting opinions
Sounds just about right.
Though the anti-feminist side would go as far as cybercrime and other questionable activity (le doxbin, etc), making them look like the losing side.
>> No. 132693
>>132692
As if the feminist side hasn't done that either...

It's not opinions versus opinions, it's dickheads versus dickheads.

Honestly, I just want it to be over so that the publishers can go back to treating us like cattle, the media treating us like scum, and everybody else hating eachother as usual.
>> No. 132697
You guys see the retarded Colbert interview?
>> No. 132698
>>132697

Didn't see it, but I read a transcript for it. Anita ended up looking stupid, even with Colbert practically feeding her lines.
>> No. 132701
>>132698
Anita doesn't come up with most of her stuff anyway, that would be her boss and boyfriend, John McIntosh.
>> No. 132707
>>132701
>that would be her boss and boyfriend, John McIntosh.
Oh god that's fucking hilarious. The strong-willed feminist lets her man call the shots. It's like those republicans who vote against gay marriage being found helping themselves to some cheeky dick at a gay night club.

Last edited at Sun, Nov 2nd, 2014 09:52

>> No. 132708
>>132707
Or democrats trying to make mandatory Obamacare but won't take it themselves.
>> No. 132717
>>132708
I dunno about that, I don't follow the dick-measuring contest that is American politics very closely.
>> No. 132723
>>132717
Probably shouldn't bring up politics then.
I mean making jokes about how dumb George Bush is can be fine if you're in sixth grade but I don't think you're in sixth grade.
>> No. 132727
>>132723
Attacking George Bush Jr's intelligence is like making fun of Hollywood. It's easy and it's never incorrect.
>> No. 132730
>>132723
You don't need to be to realize that George Bush was a fucking idiot who had no business being President.

And trust me, I know something about shitty Presidents...
>> No. 132732
File 141515388382.png - (192.94KB , 1024x760 , vector__rarity_9_by_estories-d7awc6v.png )
132732
Hello ponies I come form /oat/, 5 guys has just recently become my favorite place to eat and I enjoy talking about GG, also what's it like over here?
>> No. 132733
File 141516453063.jpg - (186.66KB , 500x520 , suigintou 12705855.jpg )
132733
>>132732
They don't really care much about the topic from what I've seen.
>> No. 132734
File 141516541387.jpg - (64.52KB , 800x763 , rar5.jpg )
132734
>>132733
doesnt surprise me. don't you need kind of high traffic for something big like gamergate to make people care zing love you /g/
>> No. 132735
>>132727
Like racist jokes or people that use drugs.

>>132730
What's the IQ measurement for a "fucking" idiot?

>>132734
>Implying half of us even give a shit
>Implying pony sites are where people go to get info
>> No. 132739
File 141517363220.png - (2.01MB , 1680x1050 , 141297425878.png )
132739
>>132735
I already know you don't give a shit and I can come here to talk about whatever I want to. who in their right mind would come here for info lol
>> No. 132740
>>132739
Where did I say you couldn't post?
>> No. 132741
>>132735
...You voted for him, didn't you?
>> No. 132742
>>132741
I don't know the age to vote in other countries but I was in middleschool/highschool when he was in office so I didn't vote for anypony either of the times he ran.
Voting means nothing for civilians anyway if you know just a single day of a teens history class about the electoral college.
>> No. 132744
>>132742
People think the opinion poll actually matters?

Golly, America, I'm not sure how to break this to you...
>> No. 132745
>>132744
It does if you're forced into. It does even more if a single political party remains in power for 16 years because they're good at using that to their advantage.
>> No. 132787
>>132745
The opinion poll doesn't actually matter.

The public doesn't choose the president. The electoral college does.
>> No. 132788
>>132787
In Brazil, the public does choose the president... and the President can keep his political party in power forever by exploiting broken systems that have no place in a democracy, as well as abusing of the lower classes and their lack of education by using populist tactics to sway them to vote for them, and then just keep them poor and stupid so that they can exploit them forever.

Oh, but the current president is a woman, so I'm sure the SJWs of the world are happy about that.
>> No. 132801
>>132788
Are we talking about Brazil? I thought we were talking about the USA. My apologies. I have no fucking idea how Brazilian politics works.
>> No. 132806
>>132801
Long story short: It's shit.
>> No. 132812
File 141553258955.jpg - (26.53KB , 538x564 , Snide really filly.jpg )
132812
I'd always heard how terrible Sarkeesian was, so a few months ago I decided to watch her show. "Videogames have damsels a lot," okay I knew that, "also this trope is sexist," well duh. I kept waiting for the part where she said something outrageous and awful, something that justified all the anger directed at her. But it never happened. I came away from it feeling like I'd just spent an hour listening to somebody lecture me on the sky being blue. How can so many people be so butthurt over this?

Honestly I doubt most of the people who hate on her so much have even watched her show or listened to anything she's said. It is just some big meme at this point. "Anita is a misandrist cunt!" And it gets echoed over and over.
>> No. 132813
>>132812

I'd recently come across a series of articles criticizing her videos.

http://gamesided.com/2014/09/08/sarkeesian-truth-part-1-straw-feminist-trojan-horse-censorship/
http://gamesided.com/2014/09/09/sarkeesian-vs-truth-part-ii-phantom-sources-dixie-kong-double-standards/
http://gamesided.com/2014/09/10/nsarkeesian-vs-truth-part-iii-impossible-argument-men-koopas/

They do a pretty good job of breaking down why her arguments are weak, I think.
>> No. 132815
>>132813
The articles don't really clarify anything for him.
Basically he said, "she's dumb so why do we care what she's saying?"
Because the people that are giving her attention are equally dumb, that's my takeaway.
>> No. 132816
File 141554734890.jpg - (41.61KB , 201x368 , Liar not at all.jpg )
132816
>>132813
I only read the first article. It is leagues better than most of the youtube comment-quality stuff I see on a daily basis, but it's still wrong.

The author says that Sarkeesian represents feminism as a monolith, but then never explains how. He just says that she's a sex-negative feminist and that she's very notable. While I agree that her singular notability within the gaming community could cause many uncritical gamers to view her as a spokesperson for all of feminism, that isn't a fair reason to criticize Sarkeesian. It is not her fault that she is the most notable and influential feminist voice in gaming, and she is not obligated to represent the entirety of feminism simply because of that notability. The solution, in my opinion, would be to have a larger variety of feminist voices in gaming media... and there already is, they're just not as well-known as Sarkeesian.

Then the author argues that Sarkeesian is a censor. While he points out some similarities between her series and the Hays code, none of those similarities is an advocacy for censorship. Without ever demonstrating that she actually advocates censorship, I'm not sure what the comparison is supposed to achieve.

The author actually brought up some interesting stuff, but sadly it was only brought up in the service of two bullshit points.
>> No. 132817
>>132812
The reason Sarkeesian is terrible:

Her "well-researched" video series made for over $100,000 donated by her fans, large sums of which were donated by suspicious accounts or by accounts owned by her personal friends, are incredibly short and incredibly basic videos by youtube standards that absolutely anypony with a home greenscreen setup and a decent video camera could have made in a couple days at most, and are full of hilariously inaccurate, completely nebulous, or just plain meaningless "facts" that in no way support her claims.

Also she stole most if not all of her video game footage from youtube LPers and never actually credited the sources.

Also she's not a video gamer and doesn't even like video games. In her own words. Repeatedly. At many, many of her seminars and appearances before she decide to suddenly be a video games expert.

Moreover, Sarkeesian in no way actually attempts to debate any of her points. She states her own personal opinions as absolute fact, does nothing to actually argue those opinions, gives no open forum for anypony to disprove or counter those opinions, and has had a long ongoing campaign of censoring any evidence against her. Her vast claim of the entire video game industry being an evil "boys only club" is supported by a minute handful of cherry-picked examples taken grossly out of context, most of which are represented in a wholly misleading fashion or just plain incorrect altogether.

She's a con artist and she's getting away with it, and in the process she's become a huge figurehead for "feminism" in the eyes of the mass media, doing arguably more harm to the cause she claims to support than if she'd never existed at all.

Edit: oh hey I found it.
http://victorsopinion.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/anitas-sources.html

Last edited at Sun, Nov 9th, 2014 20:57

>> No. 132829
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yx5qcRFyiU
>> No. 132913
File 141685034115.jpg - (8.87KB , 300x144 , norman_jayden_by_scorpion6198-d4tyjs8.jpg )
132913
>>132310
I for one could not be more delighted that #Gamergate is an actual thing that is happening. This cronyism and nepotism has been plaguing games media and just media in general for ages now and it's about damn time that people started speaking out against this kind of tosh.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]


Delete post []
Password    
Report post
Reason